Electrical problem

88turboma71

el3men2
Mar 30, 2005
nyc
hello guys, i have one for ya, i have no power at my b+ terminal at the check connector, my main relay seems to be clicking just fine, i have the haynes manual but there is no diagram for a 1988 turbo. I dont have any power at my circuit opening relay or my fuel pump relay, and i also dont have power at the two black and red wires that go to the ecu. any body have a similar problem, or can point me to a more accurate manual for my specific car, or if u have any input please do not hesitate to post.

jorge

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
88turboma71 said:
hello guys, i have one for ya, i have no power at my b+ terminal at the check connector, my main relay seems to be clicking just fine, i have the haynes manual but there is no diagram for a 1988 turbo. I dont have any power at my circuit opening relay or my fuel pump relay, and i also dont have power at the two black and red wires that go to the ecu. any body have a similar problem, or can point me to a more accurate manual for my specific car, or if u have any input please do not hesitate to post.

I'm not quite following what you're saying. But here's the TSRM wiring section:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/d/D_33.html

I'd check the 15A EFI fuse (number 7) in Junction Box No. 2:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/be/BE_014.html

Located in the engine compartment:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/be/BE_009.html

I hope this helps.
If you can use terms consistent with the TSRM so I can follow you, I'd be more than glad to off some advice.

88turboma71

el3men2
Mar 30, 2005
nyc
maybe this would be a more simple way to explain, my factory fuel pump wont come on, i hooked two wires straight from the battery and the pump works ok, i have no voltage at the b+ terminal in the diagnostic connector, when i jump b+ to fp the pump still wont come on.

88turboma71

el3men2
Mar 30, 2005
nyc
i only see one black wire with a red tracer coming out of the fuse box. i checked to see if the wire had power under the fuse box and it did not. i checked the relay and it clicks, i swaped it and its still does the same, i dont have any power at that light blue and black wire at my fuel pump relay either.

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
The Black-Red wire coming out from under the EFI relay won't have power unless the EFI relay is energized. That means that either the EFI relay isn't energizing, isn't working when energized, or isn't getting power at the switch part of the relay. The relay might be clicking because the energizing portion is working, but the switch part might be broken and has an open circuit. Because its clicking, it sounds like its being energized by the ECU.

No power at the b+ terminal at the check connector just confirms that the Black-Red wire out of the EFI switch doesn't have power.

So lets check to see that the EFI relay has power at the front end of the switch.
Pull the fuse and check continuity of the fuse using an ohm meter.
Check the power at the EFI 15A fuse terminals. Check both terminals, one should have power. Use battery (-) as ground when you check for power. The EFI fuse terminal should have power all the time, regardless of ignition position.
If you don't have power, then the front end of the EFI relay doesn't have power and it looks like the problem is the 30A fuseable link AM2.
If you do have power, then it looks like the relay has a open circuit in the switching portion.

88turboma71

el3men2
Mar 30, 2005
nyc
i have swapped relays a few times and still have the problem so i dont think thats it, i looked at all the large high amp fuses in the box and they all look good, but i will pull them out and check to make sure.

il keep u posted bluemax, thanx

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
Pull the 15A EFI fuse and check to see that it has power on one of the terminals.
Use chasis or battery (-) as ground. If you don't and you have an open circuit down stream, you won't show power even if there is power.

No need checking things that aren't connected to the same circuit or that are working properly. You don't have to waste time checking all the fuses. But that's up to you.

88turboma71

el3men2
Mar 30, 2005
nyc
Actually i have found the problem guys, sorry i have not posted, i have been very busy working on the car, i found a bad connection on the passenger side kick panel where the circuit opening relay is. Your help was very
appreciated and helpful.

jorge