Electrical issues caused by short

proto_mkiii

Aug 14, 2009
Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA
I decided to upgrade the wiring and see how it helped but I also wanted to get my alternator checked out. After getting it tested it showed good so I went to reinstall but when I put my wires back in my the metal from the connector that I had on the alternator positive to the battery was touching the case of the voltage regulator and I hadn't noticed at first and when I hooked my battery back up I blew the 100amp alternator fuse!! After replacing the fuse and readjusting my wiring I was able to get the car to start but now I have new problems.
1. My greddy fatt ii no longer functions properly. As soon as I turn the car off it turns off.
2. The voltage that my turbo timer reads is 1v higher than what my safcii reads and I'm not sure which one is right. I assume the TT as the Safc reading is low most of the time yet i don't have the same cutting out problem.
3. This is the worse part. It is now difficult to get my car to stay on when starting. It will turn on but unless I apply a little throttle it will cut out. I also have to constantly apply throttle for a few minutes while driving. After it warms up some then it's ok. I checked the resistances on the cold start injector and the time switch and the appear to be in spec but I'm not sure if it is functioning properly as my car used to idle at 1k before it warmed up

proto_mkiii

Aug 14, 2009
Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA
Intake gounds: two white two brown wires. They look good. I just don't know those voltages were in check before the short and the starting was not an issue. I'm thinking something got fried, just don't know where to check. Does the Safc get the voltage reading from the ecu or is the reading the voltage that the ecu is getting? Or ecu voltage output or input?

proto_mkiii

Aug 14, 2009
Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA
Grounds seem to be good. I'm pretty sure my cold start injector isn't operating as it should. I tested resistances at the switch and ran voltage to the injector and it sprays fine but If I leave it in tge circuit and jump the fuel I the diag. block it does nothing. Is there a chance I effected my ecu?

raysupra

7m Love
Jan 18, 2010
Mustang, OK
do you know anyone local you could borrow a ecu from? dosen't Sound like a bad ground if you Car ran fine before you touched the wiring and you Shorted something out by a powersurge.. verify all your fuse's are good with multimeter. not just visually they can be deceiving... if you have a friend close by who can let you borrow a ecu do so.. you could have blown something inside your ecu... check your fuse's first with a multimeter.. every one

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
Lancaster, Ohio, United States
or take the ecu out of car
remove covers and inspect for any burnt capacitors/resistors etc...

also just looking at a ground wont tell you a dam thing
just remove the wires from manifold, clean eyelets with sand paper and do same on mating surface of manifold
reinstall and see what happens