Electrical Issue with Gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.

nytefire

Supramania Contributor
Jun 14, 2006
Virginia
Hello,

I'm new to the forums, been here for several months, reading and learning.
I've run into an issue since the motor was replaced with not having any gauge readings. Water Temp, Tach, Boost, Oil Pressure, CEL, etc.

I've searched the forums, but I'm definately not the brightest person when it comes to car electronics.

The gauge fuse is fine, not blown. I have a test light but not a multimeter and I know power gets to the fuse. Just having difficulty tracing the line up to the gauge cluster.

Looking at the TEWD, I'm trying to find where J/B No.3 is so I can check it to that point with the test light. But any tips are greatly appreciated.

I attached a part fo the TEWD that has circled where I think the problem is, but if anyone has ideas to help out I appreciate it.

Attachments

• Main_136-.GIF
    Main_136-.GIF
    74.6 KB · Views: 13

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
If the gauge fuse is good, then I suggest pull the fuse and use the multimeter to see that you have voltage at the fuse. If you have voltage there, then try to see if there is power on the car side of the gauge power connector, Pin A10 (on this TSRM)
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=BE&Page=37
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=BE&Page=38

That's my suggestion.

Edit:
On my '87 TSRM, Gauge power is pin C8. So I'm not sure why there's a difference and what year your car is.

nytefire

Supramania Contributor
Jun 14, 2006
Virginia
Time to go buy a cheap multimeter..
I have a 90 Turbo.

I'll see about trying this out today, just seems odd that having a new engine in and nothing chaning, I dont see why anything else would've changed or the guy touching the gauge cluster for whatever reason.

Thanks for the tips.

bluemax said:
If the gauge fuse is good, then I suggest pull the fuse and use the multimeter to see that you have voltage at the fuse. If you have voltage there, then try to see if there is power on the car side of the gauge power connector, Pin A10 (on this TSRM)
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=BE&Page=37
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=BE&Page=38

That's my suggestion.

Edit:
On my '87 TSRM, Gauge power is pin C8. So I'm not sure why there's a difference and what year your car is.

Suprawannabe

meh... im lazy
Oct 27, 2005
Denver, CO
Dont forget to look at your ground side as well. Since the whole cluster shares a common ground you would need a good contact to complete the circuit. So if you have power at the fuse and one of the gauges this is where you look next.

nytefire

Supramania Contributor
Jun 14, 2006
Virginia
Thank you,
I know its in the TSRM but I've had difficulty finding out which common ground it is and where, I've checked the ground on the engine and cleaned that one up. But there's mention of a front pillar.

Thanks

Suprawannabe said:
Dont forget to look at your ground side as well. Since the whole cluster shares a common ground you would need a good contact to complete the circuit. So if you have power at the fuse and one of the gauges this is where you look next.

Edit: Corrected Spelling

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
Suprawannabe said:

Yup, that's the other side of electrical. It could easily be the ground side of things. But you have to start some where. Remember, the power has to go from (+) power to (-) power. Any breaks will stop the current from flowing, and any shorts will draw the power away from the other items in the circuit.

nytefire

Supramania Contributor
Jun 14, 2006
Virginia
Any idea where the ground might be for the gauge cluster?

bluemax said:
Yup, that's the other side of electrical. It could easily be the ground side of things. But you have to start some where. Remember, the power has to go from (+) power to (-) power. Any breaks will stop the current from flowing, and any shorts will draw the power away from the other items in the circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.