Electrical gurus, help a guy out here (non supra related)

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
So I've got this resistor, that I believe to be blown as it sings to me when I put power through it.

http://www.jfine.co.jp/e_c/pdf/e_pdf/e_rh_u.pdf

Its the rh2hvs.

If I have calculated correctly, at the 5kvdc it only pulls .0025 watts. At the max of 10kvdc, it only pulls .01 watts.

Now a couple of questions:

1.) The resistor is a 10 giga ohm, >1 watt resistor. Right?
2.) If I did my math right (see #1 above), then can I use a resistor rated for 1 watt or do I need to keep it at the low wattage obtained from my math?
3.) WHERE do I get one of these things?

Thanks SM guys and galls.

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
MDCmotorsports;1628406 said:
So I've got this resistor, that I believe to be blown as it sings to me when I put power through it.

http://www.jfine.co.jp/e_c/pdf/e_pdf/e_rh_u.pdf

Its the rh2hvs.

If I have calculated correctly, at the 5kvdc it only pulls .0025 watts. At the max of 10kvdc, it only pulls .01 watts.

Now a couple of questions:

1.) The resistor is a 10 giga ohm, >1 watt resistor. Right?
2.) If I did my math right (see #1 above), then can I use a resistor rated for 1 watt or do I need to keep it at the low wattage obtained from my math?
3.) WHERE do I get one of these things?

Thanks SM guys and galls.

100,000,000 jiga Watt resistor will do LOL Idk what giga ohm is so can't help ya sorry

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
What type of circuit is this in? What type of voltage are you putting through it. I assume since you say it is singing to you it is in an AC circuit. As such what is the frequency of the circuit?

On thing I've found doing repair work on electronics is that resistors are extremely durable when compared to other components. If the body isn't cracked or burnt it's a 95% chance the resistor is still good.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Its the high frequency board of a plasma cutter. Its on the same small pcb as a fly back transformer. I've replaced every thing else on the board, with the exception of this resistor.

The plasma cutter shorted out and blew a whole host of other components (including the 100a main breaker in the building) inside the machine. They have all been replaced and every thing else has been tested.

This is the last part to be replaced.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
That makes sense, I've heard components make an audible tone when subjected to extremely high frequencies as I'm sure this component sees. I doubt replacing this resistor is going to fix the problem. But if you really want to replace it, it needs to be replaced with an identical metal film resistor. The typical carbon/composite resistor you find at radio shack will not work at the voltages and frequencies this sees.

I've been digging around on google, and looking through a couple of the component books I have around and havn't found anything helpful. You may have to contact a supply company directly and see what they can do for you. You may have already tried this as I see you have been at this awhile, I found the thread you made over on ingunowners.com.

What is the make and model number of the plasma cutter. They should have a circuit diagram online I can look at.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Damn, there isn't.

Without the diagram I'm limited in what I can understand about this resistor, or the circuit it's involved in.

You can try replacing it if you can find one, though I doubt that will solve your problem.

Sorry, I wish I could have been more help.