Electric Fan Controller suggestions?

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
Hey guys...suggestions needed!

I have dual electric fans in my 7MGE mk2.

I have one of these.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=DER-16739&N=700+115&autoview=sku

It sucks. It's broken. When it did work, it had a sharp temperature on/off cut off point and would cause the fans to stutter on initial startup (didn't have a resistance window enabled once it triggered).

can anybody suggest a unit that works well? I'd still like to use the screw in (water) sensor style.

Steve

PCguylovesSupra

Happy go lucky......
Jun 18, 2007
Southwest MI
I have an 87 N/A with a dual 12" electric fan from Summit. FLX-425.

I have it hooked up using the relay, 30amp fuse, and temp to the water pump. The fan does not turn on until the sensor reaches about 190, then it stays on until the car is shut off. None of the on and off. I love it, very quiet.

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
jetjock;1318921 said:
I like the Spal, either the older one (http://tinyurl.com/psgwlm) or the newer version 3. I also like the Dakota Digital PAC 2700:

http://tinyurl.com/ry56er

I've used all of them in cars that can't use a fan clutch and both have worked well. Otherwise it's my opinion e-fans are things to be avoided...

agreed, but I wanted a fan shroud. 7m + mk2 + mk2 radiator means toyota fan shrouds don't fit.

I got a great deal on these fans, and they solved my problem. These flow more than enough air to keep my NA cool here in our Canadian climate; they worked great last summer.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Fair nuff. Try one of those controllers. I think you'll be satisfied.

PCguylovesSupra;1318884 said:
The fan does not turn on until the sensor reaches about 190, then it stays on until the car is shut off.

Not a good thing. The fan should shut down at or slightly above the thermostat's rating for what should be obvious reasons...

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
excellent. thanks Jet Jock.

Interesting feature Left on the website for the Derale 16749 I have:
• Turn-off temperature 10 degrees less than turn-on

my controller never behaved like that, not once. seems like I had a dud unit from the beginning. less than a year and 5000km...Time to start making some phone calls and see if I can get my money back.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
Too bad there are no controllers out there than offer PWM speed-control for DUAL fans. Only single seem to be available. The SPAL above says a relay must be used for duals, defeating the speed control capability.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
tekdeus;1319298 said:
Too bad there are no controllers out there than offer PWM speed-control for DUAL fans. Only single seem to be available. The SPAL above says a relay must be used for duals, defeating the speed control capability.
One fan is still PWM speed-controlled. When cooling power is needed (hi/AC) the one fan switches to 100% and turns the other fan on as well.