EGT / Pyrometer Guage Range, CHT Cylinder Head Temp Tap??

kmfdmk

Old School Cool
I'm looking to get an EGT Guage and I'm unsure of the range necessary for accurate readings. Reason I ask is I'm looking to get some guages and I have a number of different ranges to select from.

Also does anyone know of a location (or the ideal location) to tap/mount a CHT Cylinder Head Temperature guage?

I'm looking to pick up a used combo guage (Westach) from Aviation applications (You can find them REALLY cheap as in 25 bucks, compared to 140 or so for just the EGT for Auto applications).

I <3 multi-guages.

!BU81kHgBGk~$(KGrHgoOKicEjlLmZB)tBKQDfmHUKg~~_1.JPG

!BWuh,WgBWk~$(KGrHgoH-CEEjlLl0F63BKY1Sz1pv!~~_1.JPG

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
CHT gauges are normally used on air cooled engines, and the probe is typically a ring that goes around the base of the spark plug.

Typical automotive EGT gauges are in the 1600f to 1800f degree range.
HKS says in their F-con instructions to Never excede 900c when tuning a turbo car (900c = 1650f).

And be careful what sensor (thermalcouple) you use on the EGT,
there are different types, such as Type-J, Type-k, etc., and they are not interchangeable.

Typical automotive is Type-K, but what the aircraft industy uses is beyond me.

HKS by the way, sold one of those opposing needle type gauges for inlet tract temp,
one probe is placed at the inlet of the intercooler, and one at the outlet.
So you can tell how well your intercooler is doing.
I have one set asside for my turbo X8.

kmfdmk

Old School Cool
Yeah I grew up around airplanes as a kid since my dad was an A&P (Airframe & Powerplant) mechanic for Continental, Pan-Am and others. Nothing like being 10 years old, and getting to sit in the cockpit of a 737 and play in one while dad's working on it.

Ever since I've loved the old school look that analog aircraft guages give you. Not to mention they cram a lot of info into one guage!!

That 4-in-1 guage will go for WAY more than the $1 it's currently @ on eBay for right now. Especially since it comes with ALL the senders. I expect to see that one fetch between $400 and $800 bucks.

BUT if you think about it high end AutoMeter guages are around 150 to 200 a guage, and you can't beat Aviation guages on reliability. If a guage reads wrong, there's a chance you're not getting that soft landing you want.

kmfdmk

Old School Cool
gofastgeorge;1370425 said:
CHT gauges are normally used on air cooled engines, and the probe is typically a ring that goes around the base of the spark plug.

Typical automotive EGT gauges are in the 1600f to 1800f degree range.
HKS says in their F-con instructions to Never excede 900c when tuning a turbo car (900c = 1650f).

And be careful what sensor (thermalcouple) you use on the EGT,
there are different types, such as Type-J, Type-k, etc., and they are not interchangeable.

Typical automotive is Type-K, but what the aircraft industy uses is beyond me.

HKS by the way, sold one of those opposing needle type gauges for inlet tract temp,
one probe is placed at the inlet of the intercooler, and one at the outlet.
So you can tell how well your intercooler is doing.
I have one set asside for my turbo X8.

Thanks for the great info. Was aware of K & J type probes, but not about the HKS guage, and proper ranges. I kinda figured it was an air cooled thing with the CHT. A bunch of CHT guages I dug up were either OEM VW or VDO guages.