EGR VAC ROUTING 1987 Turbo Automatic, No Mods

bestsupraever

Nov 14, 2015
Florida
Hi Guys, so I am asking another question and hoping to not get burnt to a crisp. The reason I am asking is, in my other thread a question was asked about a 2nd connector down near the VSV for FPU. My answer was that it must be the connector for the VSV for egr. Now, I was taking a very close look at my car to compare with the diagrams. The diagrams show 2 vsv's, 1 for the fpu, and the other for the egr. So here's my problem. I do not have a second vsv. I searched every where in that area for another vsv, under alternator, back on firewall, under intake plenum. I used flashlight and a mirror to see under everything I could. There is no 2nd vsv there, and there is no 2nd connector, or capped off vac lines. The way my system is plumbed is as follows.
Vac line on Fuel Presure Reg goes to metal pipe, pipe goes to rubber hose , hose goes to output nipple on vsv for fpu, input nipple on vsv for fpu has hose attached, hose goes to pipe, pipe goes to rubber hose, hose goes to nipple on egr modulator, other nipple on egr modulator has hose attached to it, that hose goes down to egr valve. No other vac lines that I can see on that system.
There is 1 connector that goes from harness to vsv for fpu.
Is this the way this car is supposed to be plumbed, it doesn't match the online service manual, but that is not for an 87, don't know if there is a difference between years.
And where is the vsv for fpu getting it's vacuum, if it is going to the egr modulator, and that ends in the egr valve. Does the egr valve supply the vacuum?
Really appreciate anyone that can explain why my car doesn't match the diagrams, and how the egr system can work right with this setup.
Semper FI

bestsupraever

Nov 14, 2015
Florida
Nick M;2069922 said:
Click here. That is the schematic and functional layout of parts it the correct places.

Thanks for posting the schematic. That is the diagram that I am referring to in the post. My car doesn.t have the dedicated vsv for the egr system. In the diagram is appears that the vsv for egr gets it's vacuum source at the intake nipple. On my car the hose that goes from the modulator that would be attached to the intake nipple is actually attached to the vsv for fpu inlet nipple. Totally different than what's pictured. And I see no electrical connector for a dedicated egr vsv, or vac lines on my car where the egr vsv would be. That is my quandry, it seems that on my car, there is one vsv, being shared by the fpu, and egr system. I can't figure if it was modded by someone before me, or it actually came that way, despite the diagrams. Was an 87 turbo different than later models as pictured in the schematic?
I appreciate any input or explanations.
Thanks, Semper Fi.

bestsupraever

Nov 14, 2015
Florida
Hi Guys, I have finally fiqured out the vac routing on my car. It is essentially the same as the diagram, just not exactly. I mistook the egr vsv for the fpu vsv. The Fpu vsv is under the alternator, near block, by runner 1 of the intake manifold. I couldn't see the fpu vsv from any angle, finally got a small mirror in there and that cleared up the mystery for me. So basically the egr and the fpu do not share a vsv, but do share the same vac pipe.
Thanks for all your help.--Semper Fi.

bestsupraever

Nov 14, 2015
Florida
Thanks jets, your info is usually spot on, albeit delivered with a sledgehammer. But I appreciate it anyways. Just to clarify, I did read the manual, and saw the diagrams. My problem, and it was my problem, not a problem with the supplied info is that I just did not see the fpu vsv, and mistook the egr vsv for it. Also the pipe ganging for the vacuum routings is in a place that I also had trouble seeing and identifying. So I probably could have phrased my last post better about sharing the same vac pipes. . My limited ability to bend very well, (due to service injuries and 3 back surgeries), led to my not getting good eyes on the overall connections, and my confusion , which led me to questioning my cars routings. After receiving the helpful answers I now see how it is plumbed, and it sort of follows the diagram such as it is. I still have not got a real good look at the vsv for fpu due to it being in a really tough place for me to access, but I will, and examine it as soon as I can. Some days are just better than others.
Thanks for all the help. I do try to correct any misinformation that I may give out.
Semper Fi.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
My advice is (usually?) spot on because I bought my car new and drove it daily for 25 years. I also possess a very technical background. That said yes, I'm not known for my tactful delivery. I'm also not known for spoon feeding folks. I expect them to make an effort. You among most should be able to understand that.

However, I'm here to help people and that includes you Marine. It's not easy at times when they don't know what they're doing. It's especially difficult when they don't know they don't know what they're doing.

Thank you for your service. Feel free to send a PM if you have other questions about your car or need clarification about any of its systems.