EGR plate

RedDogOIF

RedDogOIF
Nov 21, 2006
Elk Grove
My EGR plate gasket in the back of the engine is bad. The new gasket is $17 but if I get it done it will be $1000. Has anyone ever changed their gasket? If so how do you go about changing it?

rumptis

나는 제프가 당신을 사랑
Aug 16, 2005
North Vernon, IN
If you talking about the one on the back of the head...not sure it could be changed while the engine was in the car its pretty tight back there...hence the large bill.

If it really needs changed, might as well pull the engine and replace seals and gaskets and HG or whatever.

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
The EGR Cooler, on the back of the head. It is tough, but can be done in the car. It gets gunked up inside with soft carbon. The gasket might be had aftermarket for less $$. You could use some FIPG material instead.

I believe this is what I used.
Carquest...Part # G31482 EGR COOLER GASKET $8.24

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
dont use fipg, im pretty sure its gets too hot and will melt the figp sealnt. the fipg is only ment for oil pan and other little areas where a gasket wont fit. buy teh right gasket and use that.

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
nosechunks said:
dont use fipg, im pretty sure its gets too hot and will melt the figp sealnt. the fipg is only ment for oil pan and other little areas where a gasket wont fit. buy teh right gasket and use that.

This is generally a true thought....

but....

when I was racing 2-stroke motocross bikes here in the desert, I always used silicone gasket sealer (we call it blue glue) in the channel on the header pipe that fit to the head. It never failed me (and that pipe got removed at least once a week), and sometimes that pipe would get so hot I could practically light a cigerette on it.:biglaugh:

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
silicone is high temprature, is toyota Fipg silicone? i could see silicone sealing better and handeling the temps better, thats why they make the outside of spark plug wires with it so it doesnt get burned by the headers. i didnt think that Toyota Fipg was silicone based though.

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
interesting site

http://amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=n:15719731,p_4:Toyota&page=1

Also....federal law provides that if you want, you can request the
"Material Safety data Sheet" (MSDS) for any chemical you buy.

The place of purchase may have them on hand. You can always call the 1-800 # on the package and request one. They are supposed to by free, but the company may want you to pay for mail. They will fax you one.

The MSDS report will list all the chemicals in the product, safety hazards, preventive safety measures to use (gloves, ventilation, glasses, etc), and first aide needed if you get it on you, or in your eyes, etc.

Last edited:

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I'd just get the stock gasket, use some copper spray, stick the gasket on the EGR plate and call it a day. You're gonna have enough trouble getting those bolt holes to line up blind...you don't need any FIPG helping the EGR plate to slide around. Plus, I'm not so sure I'd want any FIPG getting on the bolts or in the holes in the head.

MK3Brent

Very expensive....
Aug 1, 2005
Greensboro and Greenville NC
What I did was: Hold the EGR cooler, lay gasket on top, put one bolt through the EGR plate and gasket, then get that one bolt started on the bolt hole.

Now it acts like a hinge for the plate and gasket... so just swing the gasket up with your fingers when trying to get another bolt in.

It's tricky, but possible.

RedDogOIF

RedDogOIF
Nov 21, 2006
Elk Grove
Will try,going to do this operation the week after Christmas, bought all new gaskets for the valve covers since they will be off anyways.