EGR delete, yes or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupraChrisMk3

New Booster
Feb 8, 2006
Salisbury, Vermont, United States
I've got a 90' turbo and I'm trying to clean up my engine bay a little bit while I'm fixing my BHG. I'm thinking about getting some EGR block off plates and ditching my EGR setup. But I seem to remember seeing some posts saying that that was ok to do and others saying that it was a very bad idea. I'm going to be running a 57 trim CT with 3" turbo back with test pipe and stock AFM, ECU, fuel setup, if any of that matters. So if it will make some more power by deleting the EGR I'm all for it. But if it causes any driveability issues I'd rather just let it be. Anyone with experience or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

hhsuperwhite90

Mar 10, 2008
South Carolina
Uh Oh
bhbsz.jpg

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
Wish I had the pic of Michael Jackson eating popcorn.

Don't do it, there's no gain unless you have a "JDM" ECU which compensates for the lack of rich exhaust gasses.

trdsupra89

B.H.G.
Apr 28, 2009
Michigan
...oh boy here we go again.

I myself just did a hg and got rid of the egr on my car.

I bought block off plates from suprasport.com

I have read many threads saying that doing the egr delete is bad for your car, so on and so fourth, but i do not believe anyone that has deleted it has had problems...to my knowledge.

once i get my supra up and running i guess we will see huh?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
^ so you do you know exactly what egr does and how the ecu works? if you read those threads you would have better knowledge about the egr system and what its effects are if its removed. but i take it you dont.....

even with the jdm ecu you still wont gain anything. you just wont run lean at certain times.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
trdsupra89;1341891 said:
...oh boy here we go again.

I myself just did a hg and got rid of the egr on my car.

I bought block off plates from suprasport.com

I have read many threads saying that doing the egr delete is bad for your car, so on and so fourth, but i do not believe anyone that has deleted it has had problems...to my knowledge.

once i get my supra up and running i guess we will see huh?

No coment.

hvyman;1341893 said:
^ so you do you know exactly what egr does and how the ecu works? if you read those threads you would have better knowledge about the egr system and what its effects are if its removed. but i take it you dont.....

even with the jdm ecu you still wont gain anything. you just wont run lean at certain times.

True, I only want one because I can't wait for the FFIM that Lipp(IIRC) is putting out and don't want the hassel of installing one on it. I don't CARE how my engine bay looks, can't see it while I'm driving.

trdsupra89

B.H.G.
Apr 28, 2009
Michigan
hvyman;1341893 said:

If he is looking to get more power out of it then no thats not going to happen, jdm ecu or not. Myself tho, Its more to clean the engine bay up. And i am also planning to running a standalone in the near future. But i will be running it for a while with out a standalone.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
then why not just keep it on, since I'm guessing you just rebuilt the motor, until you get a stand alone. i must say i would laugh pretty hard if your fresh motor blew cause you didn't have egr. anything is possible. weather it happens or not its still the smarter thing to do to keep it on unless you have the appropriate mods.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
hvyman;1341910 said:
then why not just keep it on, since I'm guessing you just rebuilt the motor, until you get a stand alone. i must say i would laugh pretty hard if your fresh motor blew cause you didn't have egr. anything is possible. weather it happens or not its still the smarter thing to do to keep it on unless you have the appropriate mods.

But then the engine bay woudn't be "clean" ....

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
trdsupra89;1341891 said:

Tell me, how did you come to this conclusion? Instinct? Karma? Yoda? Your cat tell you?

The reason the EGR is there is pretty well documented in the Toyota Tech literature and you say you don't believe it. You need to back this statement up sport with more than hearsay and "I do not believe". Otherwise STFU in the Tech section.

The point is part throttle detonation will manifest itself with a blown HG and the EGR is never even thought of as the culprit. You are right about one thing, you will get to find out. What are you going to blame it on when you blow this HG?

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
i ran without one for a good 10 months. However i was always VERY aware of whether boost was about to come on part throttle. If it was i didn't let it get over a few pounds or i let off enough to drop the pressure. I'm also using an HKS Stopper.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Facts:
- Engine runs hotter without EGR
- Detonation can occur without EGR
- Less gas milage without EGR
- More emissions without EGR
- ECU is tuned for EGR and runs better with it (especially at the point where it would switch off)
- More buildup in intake tract with EGR (it's called maintenence, clean it you lazy punks).

How does it clean up anything when it's on the back of the engine anyway?

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
I'm scared of part throttle WITH my EGR installed. I'd probably wet all over my Sparco's at part throttle without an EGR system! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.