EGR Block off plate...

Alex91Mk3

timeshares exchange
Jun 30, 2006
Miami, Fl
www.myspace.com
I tried searching but seems like its not finding anything... any supramania member/dealer have this for sale. I put in a jdm motor that only came with the rear block off plate and not the one on the side where the EGR goes. So I started the car after the swap and forgot to cover it with a EGR block off plate. A lot of noise comes out of there with the motor running.. would it cause it to run really sluggish as well?? EGR block off plate anyone?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
There is one on the back of the manifold and one on the back of the head, the one on the side isn't needed (which I'm assuming you're talking about).

Hope you're running the JDM ECU and don't have emissions there...

Alex91Mk3

timeshares exchange
Jun 30, 2006
Miami, Fl
www.myspace.com
thought the stock usd ecu would be fine..and the plate on the side is needed because it covers the hole where the egr would go. I started the car and it sounds really loud, like an exhaust leak.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
No, the plate on the back of the block covers the exhaust entrance to where the EGR cooler would go. The port on the side is from the EGR cooler to the EGR valve, but since the GR cooler is removed and the port blocked to the exhaust, it's not needed, it's simply a hole open to air on both sides.

No, the USDM ECU is tuned for the EGR to be there.

87ttsupra

Wee turbo!!!
Apr 9, 2008
pueblo west
Maby the one one the back of the head isn't sealing up all the way. Or you have some other problem like an actual exhaust leak...

Alex91Mk3

timeshares exchange
Jun 30, 2006
Miami, Fl
www.myspace.com
Well I don't think its simply a hole because I put my thumb over it when it's idling and it gets substantially quieter..So a JDM ECU would be needed since there's no EGR? ok. Makes sense I suppose. Thanks for the input!

Alex91Mk3

timeshares exchange
Jun 30, 2006
Miami, Fl
www.myspace.com
p1706462_1.jpg
i just put an EGR blocker but it didn't fit.. it was a bit too short...

Alex91Mk3

timeshares exchange
Jun 30, 2006
Miami, Fl
www.myspace.com
CT26smoker;1706466 said:
That hole is the intake side.
And if you pull the whole 'cooler' plate off the back of the head, and use the block off plate there, there is no exhaust coming to that hole.
I am guessing that you did not remove the long cooler plate from the back of the head, right ?
See this:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...EGR-block-off-plate-for-back-of-cylinder-head
lol no i did not remove the cooler plate... he did give me two blockers. im guessing the other one would be for the back to replace the cooler... So you're saying if I block the hole in the back behind the cooler.. i won't have to worry about the intake side? 2 birds with one stone type of thing huh??? thanks..

CT26smoker

Banned
May 25, 2010
Houston
Yes.
I still put a frost plug into the lower intake manifold hole coming from the block (don't like abandoned holes).
The second plate goes onto the intake manifold off course.

Alex91Mk3

timeshares exchange
Jun 30, 2006
Miami, Fl
www.myspace.com
So I gave it a try and tried removing the cooler plate...ended up with bruised knuckles...any tips or particular tools you think would assist in removing the egr cooler? pretty tight fit...

CT26smoker

Banned
May 25, 2010
Houston
Well, it should have been done before you installed the engine.
I have never tried one with the engine in the car, but you may just have to use a short socket welded to a flat steel handle.
(good reason to pick up cheap tools at pawn shops, never can tell when you will need to butcher one)