egr block off helps cyl #6?

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
Hi Guys,
Was just watching a Turbo-A clip on youtube and after reading some of the comments and I had poked around here and there about EGR Block off plates and this post got me thinking whether blocking it will help with cyl6 cooling? since recirculating the exhaust gasses = hot temps? or does it not make much of a difference at all.

Here is the comment:

ma61geek (2 weeks ago)
just to let everyone know...they were still very prone to blowing head gaskets because they never fixed the problems...still has egr routed behind number 6 cylinder, doesn't have a number 6 water jacket that is in the cylinder head, and identical head under-torquing from the factory that occurred on the rest of 7m's that we know, but they did tweak a few things, very nice cars, i love them...

Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDSxUN8qAVI&feature=related

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
that comment is totally off base for a few reasons...

EGR is programmed into the ECU, as such the car will run lean and actually have HOTTER EGT's with it disabled.

Turbo-A's where JDM only, as such they didn't come with EGR in the first place.

The ONLY reason for the easy BHG's on these engines is the low headbolt torque. Period.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
I have JDM motor with no EGR and usdm ECU and it actually runs rich.. Never but a WB on it but it has some pretty good black smoke when i get on it, shoots flames when i shift and turns my bumper black.
I really do need to get WB o2 on this thing though.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
EGR is closed at that amount of throttle

EGR is ONLY active during cruising and will improve gas milage as the ECU is tuned for it...

This has all been covered in a very large thread somewhere...