ECU water temp sensor replacement wiring

Fozbo

7M Love
Apr 4, 2005
Norman, Oklahoma
The wires to my ECU water temp sensor plug have snapped off from the plug. I have an old hacked up wiring harness, but the ECU water temp plug was missing on it. I found another 2 prong plug that I modified (broke the clip part of it off) to fit on the sensor. It actually worked out pretty well.

Now my problem is trying to figure out which wire needs to go to which prong.
According to the TSRM, the sensor is just a resistor: http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/mk3/manual.aspx?Section=FI&P=113

Does that mean that it really doesn't matter which way I connect the wires since it is basically a loop with a variable resistor in it?

Thanks for the help.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Temp sensors are usually just resistors. If it's a 2 prong then it's likely a loop, and won't matter which way the connector goes on. I would check for continuity of either prong to ground, and resistance to ground. If there is no continuity to ground for either prong, then it won't matter which goes where. If there is one with no resistance to ground, then it would matter which goes where, and you'll need someone to follow up with wire colours.

Fozbo

7M Love
Apr 4, 2005
Norman, Oklahoma
I tested the continuity / resistance to ground from each prong; they are isolated from ground, so it's just an inline resistor. I went ahead and wired up the plug and it works, just thought I'd post up the results for anyone that searches for this topic.