eBay Fiberglass Regulus Rep. Header Panel

ERA

Jul 31, 2006
any way the wind blows
Hey guys,

I noticed there was an older thread earlier this week about a potential group buy for a carbon fiber Regulus rep nose panel started by T701jz. The groupbuy itself seemed to have fallen flat and there was mention of an alternative (found on eBay and not T701jz) before the thread had closed.

I wanted to take this opportunity to somewhat review the fiberglass eBay Regulus rep nose panel and hopefully this would help others in making a decision as to whether to buy it or not.

A few months ago I purchased the eBay rep panel, offered by bhshindustries, in fiberglass ($220). It is also available in carbon fiber ($360)

I picked up the panel in Irvine, just a few hours away from where I live, and I admit, I should have looked over the piece more thoroughly before actually handing over the money. I'll exlpain why in a minute. I did a mock up on the car (you're required to cut your radiator support to clear the vents), and it was an okay fit. Not perfect, which I knew I shouldn't expect, but just okay (the piece didn't sit flush with the fenders as I had hoped.. but still not a big deal). The factory metal mounts for the corners of the nose panel didn't fit inside the rep and some of the tabs used for mounting at the bottom of the piece didn't line up with the front bumper. I didn't mind any of this at all and actually found ways around it (zipties, some cutting of a tab), but what I was not satisfied with the most was that I bought the piece failing to realized that it was warped underneath the passenger side headlight:

250pmh2.jpg

And since installing it it actually has warped some more! (The middle vent has bubbled up as well as underneath the driver's side headlight)

This is what I wanted to point out the most. Is this normal of fiberglass? The piece itself is pretty thin... As a result, I might consider giving the CF piece a try (CF shouldn't warp if I'm not mistaken?)

Also, communication with Bryan (bhsindustries) I think could have been better. I let him know of the situation I found myself in but eventually gave up and didn't really care anymore after waiting for him to get back to me both through text and email.

In short, in my experience, the fiberglass piece isn't that great in terms of quality. Bryan seemed like a cool guy but communication between us could have been better. I might give the CF panel a try? And I hope this information was useful for anyone who might have been interested in the panel.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
Most carbon fiber stuff is not all carbon fiber...its 2-3 layers of fiberglass then a layer of carbon fiber on top for looks.

Warping does happen with fiberglass parts depending on temperature/humidity and how thoroughly it was cured.

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
The resin is what will cause the warping, so buying a CF one won't fix the issue. If it's not fully cured when you got it, then it likely cured in the heat of the sun and shrunk in some spots.

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I've had worse luck with fitment of carbon fibre. I ordered aero from shine auto and only 1 sideskirt had to be modified to look cosmetically better, the front lip and my hiro rear(from another aero supplier) we're all perfect fits FRP. I ordered a gold weave VIS racing hood with the factory plate and it came with a gigantic bow on the drivers(RHD car) side. I also had issues with used cf headlight covers I bought they were much more snug then the factory metal ones and although I did not drill the holes I feel like it still would of not lined up any better had I done them myself.

Appreciate the review though I had seen this on ebay and was the one to revive that thread to find out more about it. Guess if i'm going to get one I'll pay the extra 100$ shipping to bring it from Japan.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I have one of the replicas as well, but never test fit it beyond a simple mockup. Hopefully it won't have too many fitment issues, as I like the look.

Beals, where did you find it for sale in Japan? I'm always a little surprised to see Mk3 stuff still being made over there... would like to know, in case my panel turns out to be crap haha.

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
te72;2065618 said:
I have one of the replicas as well, but never test fit it beyond a simple mockup. Hopefully it won't have too many fitment issues, as I like the look.

Beals, where did you find it for sale in Japan? I'm always a little surprised to see Mk3 stuff still being made over there... would like to know, in case my panel turns out to be crap haha.

I search auctions and have an importer bring it over for me, I just bought a hiro spoiler and east bear aero mirrors :D

although places like rhdjapan can get you anything brand new if you have a part # and it's still in production

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Rollus;2065623 said:
Interesting!

What importer did you choose?

Envoyé de mon Nexus 6 en utilisant Tapatalk

Brian @ B-pro auto but he's local to me (same country & province) but there is lots around in Canada as we can import jdm cars after only 15 years.