Easiest/best way to fill transmission w/ oil

canadian

May 16, 2006
Victoria BC
I bought some royal purple 75w-90 synthetic gear oil for the transmission... I searched and nothing came up...
What's the easiest way to fill the tranny (manual) with the gear oil, I don't have a pump is my problem. Is the fill-plug the only place I can fill it from? The TSRM didn't tell me much and my haynes manual didn't either.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
canadian said:
No, there is a fill plug on the side, but its a pain...

Everyone seems to be complaining about how hard it is to fill... I don't get it.

I thought it was rather easy with my $5 oil pump, but I may have to try the shifter way since everyone seems to think its sooooo much better.

canadian

May 16, 2006
Victoria BC
suprarx7nut said:
Everyone seems to be complaining about how hard it is to fill... I don't get it.

I thought it was rather easy with my $5 oil pump, but I may have to try the shifter way since everyone seems to think its sooooo much better.

With an oil pump it would be a lot easier... I don't have the pump though...

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
canadian said:
With an oil pump it would be a lot easier... I don't have the pump though...
I bought a fill tube that screws on top of the quart container with a piece of clear hose on it. It makes it so you can squeeze the bottle to squirt the fluid into fill hole. Works pretty good.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
The only stuff I really use for transmissions is either MTL or MT90. 75w90NS is a good choice as well.

I've found the R154's really like the MT90 (MT90 is factory spec for weight) and my T50 really likes MTL.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Big fan of Red Line MT90 myself...use it in my Toyota truck, shifts smooth as silk.