E85 in a supra questions

Blackmk3

Apr 10, 2006
New Zealand
Hello everyone!

So ive got a few questions regarding E85. I live in New Zealand and where only now starting to catch up with the rest of the world regarding E85
and its starting to pop up at a few fuel stations and able to be purchased in drums.

I understand all the performance benefits of this fuel. Im more looking into what on a Mk3 supra with 7mgte needs to be changed in happily run this fuel in regards to the fuel tank itself does it hold up to the corrosive elements of e85? what about the factory hard fuel line?
I understand all rubber lines would need to be replaced. what about the aluminum fuel rail? i understand it corrodes aluminum short term or long term thing?

The car would be setup to run Flex fuel on the standalone ecu, we get 98 octane here so E85 would only be for special occasions at the track since its not a readily available at the fuel pumps yet, so it wouldn't be "sitting" with high concentrations of E85 in the tank/system while parked up its mainly a weekend car.

Thanks very much
Nick

Aleo24

Aug 15, 2011
Perth
I've been running E85 for the last year or two now. My fuel system consists of a Walbro 450, 3/8 Gates barricade fuel lines. And an FIC anodized fuel rail.

The factory hardlines are fine, but i got rid of the factory fuel filter and ran a speedflow 10 micron stainless element. Your going to need at least 30% bigger injectors as well.

Blackmk3

Apr 10, 2006
New Zealand
Awesome, guessing your running a 2jz?
Yeah i understand the extra flow requirements of E85. Im at the point now where i have the standalone ecu for it so i need to piece together a fuel system that can handle more power (its all stock currently) then its off to be tuned

The question is do i set up a system with E85 rated components or just stick with good ole pump gas
That's good to know that there's no issue with the fuel tank or hardlines at my power level i don't think im going to be maxing out the lines on E85

Is it worth it?

Aleo24

Aug 15, 2011
Perth
Yeh 2jzgte with a precision 6262. If its readily available its worth it. Big kick in the midrange and the ability to run big boost. At the drags i went 4mph faster with 2-3psi less boost. So big benefits.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Ethanol isn't corrosive. It absorbs water, and this water is what can cause issues. If you drive the car regularly at all, you'll have no issue. It's when the same fuel sits in the tank for months absorbing more and more moisture that causes the problems.

Been on e85 for a while now with the car taken apart for upgrades here and there with zero signs of corrosion inside the stock fuel rail (2jzge).

I only get about 100 miles per tank of fuel. I have a heavy foot and boost my car regularly so the fuel goes quick. As long as you use the fuel and refuel every couple weeks you shouldn't ever have any problems. Just make sure your pumps/filters/and any o-rings or seals are ethanol compatible. The stock lines are all fine (so I've read) because in the late 80's ethanol was blended into regular pump gas so it should all be compatible. Though I would run new anyway rather then trust 25 year old fuel lines.

Blackmk3

Apr 10, 2006
New Zealand
Interesting. this is why i started this thread to get some real world answers. The internet is full of all sorts, mainly being that it is corrosive and attacks aluminum. Even posts about the fuel sitting in the intake/head after engine shut off starts corroding.

I wont be using E85 much, mainly as a trackday thing i think. The cooler running of the engine is appealing and the power is a positive.
I don't feel moisture will be a problem as it wont be sitting with high ethanol in the tank i would run it down and top it up with petrol. Or pump it out
Plus my environment isnt humid

Awesome. Im pretty small game really and only aiming for 400-450hp so it looks like ill start setting up the system to take E85, then i always have that option. Flex fuel makes it so easy!