E85 and electricty

Blackmk3

Apr 10, 2006
New Zealand
Hey guys

So im setting my mk3 up for flex fuel E85 operation

Ive just got a few questions regarding the electrics inside the fuel tank

Ive got a Pierburg low pressure lift pump that will be lifting to a surge tank
Unfortunately the pump arrived without an electrical plug. and the stock wiring is of a different layout and wrong length

The plug is just a simple twin terminal "quick connect style" female plug. the pump has male spade terminals ontop
im having trouble buying a plug for it, that's of E85 spec plastic. does it have to be a certain type? info is very hard to find..

So im looking for some shining light regarding the safely of E85 and electrics in the tank. Can i extend the wires and just use spade terminals?
stock is obliviously exposed but supra's weren't designed for E85 from the factory

Is that a risk? do i need Teflon coated wiring and heatsink to connect it?

Thank you
Nick

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
parts stores will sell the harness..
there are only a few part numbers in the catalog..
and will all work fine for what you are using it for adding extras only adds problems...

if you are really worried use an inline pump.
i have looked at E85 rated pumps in factory cars and compared them to cars without the flex fuel option.. only the pump is different they all used the same plastic when mounted in and seals. sometimes they were the same part number but no never are the plugs a factor in any factory vehicle that's flex fuel rated.

Last edited:

Blackmk3

Apr 10, 2006
New Zealand
I understand that, but the issue i have is i dont have that connector. seems the fuel pump manufacture pierburg dont offer it as a spare part. And getting one from a OEM car will be difficult in NZ.

Hence why i was asking about the qualities of electricity when submerged in E85

Anyone?