e-brake bypass for dvd player

crazysupra2JZ

Nov 16, 2006
Georgia
i just bought one these single din dvd player/stereos that has a built in 3 inch screen. i wired it all up except for the e-brake -12 volt wire.

when i turn the headlights on it cuts video and i have no control of the player. how can i hook up the e-brake wire so that it thinks the ebrake is always on and i'm not driving?

i tapped it into the plug by the handle, but it doesn't do anything

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
99% of e-Brake switches are ground switches, so all that you SHOULD need to do is ground the wire. If you tapped it into the plug, then it will function as it should, and only show ground when the e-brake is applied.

I would suggest that this be on a separate switch, so that you can override this behavior if you choose. Install a diode in the line between your switch and the e-brake plug. This will allow you to override the e-brake without the car thinking that the ebrake is on. (Cruise control won't set, annoying light on dash)

The switch also allows you to demonstrate to the nice police officer that in fact you DO have the safety installed, as required by law.

Just don't do nothing dumb, and get into an accident because of this.

crazysupra2JZ

Nov 16, 2006
Georgia
instructions don't say anything about the wire. as it is now i can only control the player during daytime, at night when lights are on, i can't do anything.

on the wire it says -12v. i grounded it, nothing happens. i don't know, i'll play around with it some more

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
orlando/ New Smyrna Beach FL
crazysupra2JZ;949651 said:
instructions don't say anything about the wire. as it is now i can only control the player during daytime, at night when lights are on, i can't do anything.

on the wire it says -12v. i grounded it, nothing happens. i don't know, i'll play around with it some more

here is exactly what i did. when i put my double din in with the 7in display i went about it a little differently. instead of trying to trick it and make it think the ebrake was on all the time i found an alternative ground. i took the ground for the video and spliced it in with the ground on the cruise control. so all you have to do to watch videos is turn on your cruise control and enjoy. and its just the switch in the dash. like you dont have to be driving or anything.

and as for what the wire is called depends on the head unit. like on my kenwood it says something like parking ground.

hope this helps

supra8903

Jan 12, 2006
Latham, NY
its simple.... ground the wire and put a switch in line.... it needs to read a change to zero volts....

flip the swith off then on.... it should work