e-brake & Battery Lights on???

RallySoob

Rally Man Sam
Nov 2, 2006
Oregon
I did a quick u turn in traffic today and looked down to notice the sudden movement had caused my Emergency brake light and Battery Light to turn on. I do not notice any difference in driveability, but it's still very annoying! Does any1 have a logical idea to what happened?:1zhelp: Any idea How can I turn these off?

Suprarook

Ninety-Chew Mk-Tree
Mar 18, 2007
wisconsin/illinois border
Sounds like the issue with mine a few weeks ago,,, it was a combination of battery and alternator. Changed out both and took car of the problem, If I were you I would first take both the battery and alt in to an auto parts store and have them test both for free. That's a good start.

RallySoob

Rally Man Sam
Nov 2, 2006
Oregon
Well the alternator is fairly new, like less than 3,000 miles. and the battery is too. I replaced the battery last nite cuz the car would run out of battery power while i was driving it. This morning the voltage meter read 8 volts and was at 6 by the time i made it to work, and the wipers barely have power enough to work.
So it sounds like I'm gonna have to pull the alternator and have it tested but Damn, it's new. Is there any other parts in the charging system that could cause these problems?
-the car will die from loss of voltage after about 5-10mins of driving. after letting it sit for about 3 minutes the battery will seem to be recharged and it will work fine for another 5 -10 mins...
-the antenna quit working 2 days ago and the e-brake & battery lights are still on...:1zhelp:

RallySoob

Rally Man Sam
Nov 2, 2006
Oregon
what would cause your alternator to keep going out? cuz my alternator is new and I had already had it go out just a while back with completely different symptoms... any suggestions on this too would be most helpful

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
By new alternator, do you mean remanufactured? Sometimes they give you a bad one. Just return it under warranty. And 8 and 6 volts are way too low. It should charge the battery at around 12-14. Sometimes alternators go bad from having to charge a dead battery a lot. Do you have an upgraded sound system?

RallySoob

Rally Man Sam
Nov 2, 2006
Oregon
ya, i guess i didnt really fry my first alternator until I hooked up my subwoofer. And Yes it is remanufactured and yes it has a warranty and yes I did lose my receipt:3d_frown: So looks like I will be paying full pop, again... and I should take out the subs tonite too since they Suck, literaly.
Thanks for the sugestions, hope that this resolves my issue...

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
Well, they should have some kind of record in their computers where you bought it. I know that I bought a starter at pepboys, lost my reciept, explained the situation and they replaced it for me. Can't hurt to go there with the old alternator and explain what happened. I'm pretty sure they don't offer them without a warranty.

RallySoob

Rally Man Sam
Nov 2, 2006
Oregon
I got it at Knechts Auto Parts and they said that they don't keep that in their system Supposely... But I'm gonna handle it after work regaurdless. A funny thing though, My brake fluid was way low, Thanks.
- So what kind of what causes the Battery Light to go on?
- And what would cause the e-brake light to come on at the same time?
- Do you really think these lights will turn off when i put in a new alternator?

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
Both the "BRAKE" and the battery lights will come on at the same time if the alternator is going dead. I'm not quite sure how to get the battery light to come on by itself but replacing the alternator will definitely get rid of both of the lights, provided you did fill up the brake fluid reservoir. Exactly how low was the brake fluid? You may need some new brake pads. Just another thing to check. :biglaugh:

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
If you are running Subs in your Supra then why dont you get a alternator that puts out more amps? I know the Turbo Supras put out 80 Amps but I see alternators on ebaymotors that will put out 130 Amps and that will also fit a Supra;).
Also good thing that you found the receipt because my local autozone and pepboys also put all of my information in their computer but when I had to return parts to both of them and they both gave me problems, good thing I had my recipt:naughty:.

G/L with fixing the alternator. At least its easy to get to and to change:icon_bigg.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
dcrusupra said:
Both the "BRAKE" and the battery lights will come on at the same time if the alternator is going dead. I'm not quite sure how to get the battery light to come on by itself but replacing the alternator will definitely get rid of both of the lights, provided you did fill up the brake fluid reservoir. Exactly how low was the brake fluid? You may need some new brake pads. Just another thing to check. :biglaugh:

The charge light cannot come on by itself, unless the brake light is burnt out or missing, haha. They are wired together with a diode.

RallySoob

Rally Man Sam
Nov 2, 2006
Oregon
Ya my alternator failed the knechts test and since i bought it within a year, they covered it. It would charge but was only puting out 10 volts and fading. The new alternator is definately pushing harder. I didn't really notice, but for a long time the dash lights were really dim from the lack of power; Now they're bright again.
last time the alternator died a completely different way so I was thinking it was something else, whew.
A bigger alt. would definately be nice, but I did the exchange and free is always good. Plus the subs gotta go because they're heavy. Thanks for the help again, so glad we have these forums! -Great for the mechanics, but a real God-Send for the Drivers!

Last edited: