dss one piece problem

Rcks4me

Nov 3, 2011
fresno ca, usa
So I ordered an aluminum one piece from Drive Shaft Shop and its too short. On the web site they list one for the factory 5 speed and one for a 5 speed swap from auto. Mine is a swap from auto but I thought they should be the same weather its a swap or factory considering in the end all the parts ( motor mounts,motor,bell housing, trans and dif) are all the same. So I called DSS and the guy said they are different and I needed the swap shaft but he couldn't tell me how they were different. I ordered the one for the swapped 5 speed and now its too short.

Back to today, after I mounted the ds and saw 2 1/2" of the slip yoke sticking out of the trans I called DSS and talked to Tad. He had me measure the shaft they sent and said that it was the rite length, so I asked what was the length of the one for a factory 5 speed his reply was he didn't know, that he didn't have that info. I asked how he knew the measurements I gave him for the one I received were rite he said because I told him....

Now it seems like it should be easier than this when talking to someone who deals with this as their job everyday. It seems like an easy question to be answered when that is what you do for a living.

Am I getting the runarround or is this normal for these guys to not know jack about their own product?

Can someone clarify why one ds would be different from another factory 5 speed or swapped?

I also called and talked to the guys at supra sport because they sell these drive shafts, they seem to think both shafts are the same just labeled different....

Any help figuring this out will be much appreciated

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Ignore the fact that you swapped. If you have a W58, get the NA driveshaft. If you have an R154, get the turbo driveshaft.

They apparently don't know jack in this case...

Rcks4me

Nov 3, 2011
fresno ca, usa
thats just it they offer 2 and i got the one they said I needed and its wrong. The box it came in says its for an auto/or manual conversion..... makes no sense to me

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
Boosted supra makes them Cory is his name I have one and ordering another for my 1j it's steel but 17lbs and balanced to 9000rpm

Rcks4me

Nov 3, 2011
fresno ca, usa
http://www.driveshaftshop.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?cat=356&mode=list&q=aluminum

at the bottom the turbo auto/manual conversion is the one I was told I had to have I thought I knew better but listened to the "professional" he said the other one wouldn't fit but cant tell me the difference.

I know what I need now but just trying to figure out why they offer this like this and hopefully keep others from dealing with these retarded issues.