Drummers - ANOTHER quick question for you

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
------edit-----

scroll down this first question was answered, and i have a new question and a picture!

-----/edit-----

It's about the lip of the drumshell on the toms..

how is it contoured? I have a lower end set made by PEACE drums, and it has a 90 degree angle on the outside of the drum, and is tapered on the inside.

I was wondering if i should spend a few minutes and sand down the outer edge so it's not so sharp...but i dont know how the more expensive sets are contoured..

it might be best for the way the head stretches over the shell though i'm not sure...

(i'm putting new heads on BTW)

here's what i'm talking about;

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Last edited:

Wolfwood

Dec 9, 2006
Houston, TX
The drumshell lips of the toms on my set also have a 90 degree angle like that.

I would leave it as is, unless you are VERY confident in your sanding abilities, in which case you could get the entire lip perfectly sanded with no imperfections.

If you end up with imperfections on the lip, your drum head may not stretch over it correctly, leaving you with a bad fit.

Just my .02 cents.

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
ok thanks!

sounds good, i was leaning on leaving it, it just seemed like a harsh angle.

now that i think about it though, it seems like that edge helps suspend the head above the lip and might help the head move without restriction. i read a little into this and there are different bevel angles for the inside and maybe the outside of the rim on expensive sets. they mentiond 45 and 30 degrees and some rounded. but it probably wont matter at all, especially on my set.

i was more of just going to smooth it a little and make the contact area better, not sand it down significantly...just to keep it from biting into the head. but the overall pressure it has cutting into the head over the whole drum is probably mute anyway.

part of me was worried my cheap set would cut/damage my new heads :p

i'll go put them on now. :)

xscurry

Apr 1, 2005
Houston, Texas
Yeah many entry level drum kit bearing edges are like that. One thing that some people do is put a very thin layer of wax along the edge/tip where it makes contact with the drumhead to make sure of even seating.

Last edited:

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
new question -

i have nylon tip drumsicks, and it seems they are scratching the heads a lot, and i'm not sure what's normal. i think it's just because they are new and mirror-finish that i noticed it, and it will look normal once the head is evenly buffed by the sticks..

but i want to make sure i don't need to get new nylon tip sticks to avoid this;
sm_photo_missing.jpg

xscurry

Apr 1, 2005
Houston, Texas
Scuff marks are normal on clear heads. What heads did you get? You replace the batter and resonant or just the batter? What sticks you use?

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
I got the Remo pinstripe propack with a emperor-x coated head with that extra thick black center dot. :) Just batters, the peace heads on the bottoms of the drums are in good condition so those are fine for resonant heads for now. they're thinner. strong though! i never broke the old heads and they are CRAP now.

I havent been playing long and i only have two pairs of sticks but the ones i use are Pro-mark 5A's. I bought some remO's and they help a lot too. i have a nice sound and i'll fool with it later.

This is my set. I have new cymbals ordered but they wont be in stock until march :( until then it's a crappy crash/trash/whatever on the right and a decent sounding cymbal on the left for a splash. the hi-hats are crap.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

my friend might be giving me a ride soon and i need a new hi hat, then i'm set :D

It's a beginners set I believe...well....i'm almost certain. I originally got it about a year or two ago for 60 bucks from a guy who knew nothing about drums. I got it just to fool around with, and ended up liking drums more than I thought. Myself and my friends (all musicians) like the kick's sound and figured the set had potential so i was just waiting until the time and money was right for some new hardware. now its much easier to play and I'm going to play more yay! I dont think i'm going to bother buying resonant heads.. maybe when i have a job. until then this sounds pretty darn good especially for only having them on for a day.

sm_photo_missing.jpg