Droopy rear corner

Dan88t

Jun 12, 2007
Binghamton, NY
Hey guys, so my build is progressing along, (almost time for a build thread) but I noticed that the left rear corner of the car was about an inch and a half to 2 inches lower than the right - I assumed the spring/shock was worn out. (It had KYB GR2 shocks with Intrax springs) so I pulled both rear shock/springs from my old car that I'm parting out - Tokico Illumina (also with Intrax springs) and swapped them in...

Well after the swap it looks about the same.

So my question is; is there something else that could be making that corner lower? I checked out everything underneath and it all looks straight, car drives straight and smooth... Did I just get lucky and have 2 blown shocks? What else could/should I check?

Between engine, then paint, then interior work I didn't think I'd have to add a "suspension work" phase to my build... ugh...

Thanks!

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Check the front right corner for problems, or check the sway bars for damage.

Dan88t

Jun 12, 2007
Binghamton, NY
I did check the sway bars and all around the rear end - I haven't spent much time staring at the front end but how would the front right corner drop the rear left corner? Side to side in the front is even... it's just weird, it looks like that one spring was cut but I replaced it (albeit with another old used spring/shock) and have the same thing going on...

Dan88t

Jun 12, 2007
Binghamton, NY
Just in case anyone cares or stumbles on this thread in the future I thought I'd post an update. I swapped the rear springs/shocks with each other and now the passenger side is lower... Tho I knew that was going to be the case as soon as I got a good look at the springs with the wheels out of the way, the top 5 coils of the one were completely compressed while only the top 2 or 3 on the other side were compressed.

Sooooo... Not exactly a ringing endorsement for Intrax springs - both sets have less than 30K miles on them and both sets have at least one spring that pretty much collapsed. The positive to take away is that I can buy new coilovers now without guilt about upgrading parts that don't necessarily need upgrading :)

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Intrax tend to sag sometimes. I had a similar issue where one wheel stuckk out furtehr than the other side... Ended up being the rear subframe bushings. Once I replaced those, everything was where it needed to be. Good luck!