Driveshaft play

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
Im still trying to fix the shakiness of the car and put it up on stands.

I can move the rear driveshaft up and down in the bearing. The front one is harder but it has some side to side give also. I can hear it rub a bit.

Im thinking the center bearing is toast.

Is any movement considered normal?

V

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
Sounds like its toast. Any other loose pieces? Perhaps you could fit a one-piece in there now. Steel? Any driveline shop should be able to do that for you. Carrier bearings are expensive.

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
SDtoyomk3 said:
i have the same prob. thats why im gonna get a good one from a junk yard tomm

Im actually undecided... New one peice driveshaft or bearing...

My worry is finding out that my rear shaft is worn out after buying the center bearing...

Im calling Jawsgear today to see what they need to get me one. Sadly this ends my 5 speed conversion if I get a 1 peice...

V

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
Carrier bearing is about $120 plus another $20 to install at a driveline shop.

You can't replace the ujoints on the OEM driveshaft so it's not worth the $$. Save yourself a headache and just buy a 1 piece.

Why would that end your 5spd conversion? Just have the driveshaft remodifed when u go 5spd.

pb92supraturbo

FTG & the IRL!
Aug 20, 2005
Garage, under Supra
You sure about that - see #04371? I just called Champion Toyota and they have these u-joints in stock . . .

Ric said:
You can't replace the ujoints on the OEM driveshaft so it's not worth the $$. Save yourself a headache and just buy a 1 piece.

Attachments

• propeller shaft and universal joint.gif
    propeller shaft and universal joint.gif
    21 KB · Views: 21

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
starscream5000 said:
Now why would a major car company such as Toyota make a driveshaft the couldn't have it's own U-Joints replaced???

Oh you lucky ****.

MKIV, SC300, SC400, Soarer, Chaser, GS300, GS400, Aristo driveshafts have non-replaceable u-joints. Yep, thats right. One time use. They last about 120k miles.

Just the front prop shaft alone costs $600-1200 dollars from toyota depending on model.

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
pb92supraturbo said:
You sure about that - see #04371? I just called Champion Toyota and they have these u-joints in stock . . .

Well my other thing is I have the tanabe exhaust and there isnt a lot of room for any new geometry under there.

How much will a one peice change clearances? And will it ride as smooth or at least not shake me to hell at cruising speed?

V

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Ric said:
Oh you lucky ****.

MKIV, SC300, SC400, Soarer, Chaser, GS300, GS400, Aristo driveshafts have non-replaceable u-joints. Yep, thats right. One time use. They last about 120k miles.

Just the front prop shaft alone costs $600-1200 dollars from toyota depending on model.

Well since you knew this much about so many cars, then why did you say this about the MKIII's? Doesn't make since to me...

Ric said:
Carrier bearing is about $120 plus another $20 to install at a driveline shop.

Why would that end your 5spd conversion? Just have the driveshaft remodifed when u go 5spd.

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
I don't know anything about the MK3 chassis itself I just know about the JZ motor. I'm actually quite amazed that toyota would get rid of replaceable u-joints for non replaceable ones.