Drive shaft Length?

Jacob

the overkillist
Feb 11, 2007
East Coast USA
Hey guys, I am kinda chasign my tail trying figure out what is going wrong with my drive shaft situation.

First off, in the world of Cressida's doing a manual swap is a genuine bolt on occasion. It all bolts up just like it would in a MK3 (save widening the tunel for the R154). We use the MA70 bell/tranny/front shaft. N/A gets the W58 stuff and Turbo uses the R154 stuff.

Second, in the world of JZ powered Cressida's everything bolts up the same way, except the 1JZ R154 bellhousing is about an inch shorter resulting in other things being moved about 1inch further to the front of the car (when using the MA70 R154). The write ups for this JZ/R154 swap call for the JZA70 front shaft. Apparently, it is longer.

Third, I just bought a MA70 R154 front shaft because everyone keeps saying it is the same length as the JZA70 shaft. I have found that it is not long enough. It seems to be 1 inch too short.

My issue: I am being misinformed by either the Cressida write ups, everyone else, or the guy who sold me this drive shaft. I just want a straight answer so I can proceed in the right direct with my drive shaft issue.

So I got a few questions:

1 Are the JZA70 and MA70 front drive shafts the same length? . .. if think they are, please don't post up. If you know for fact cuz you've seen them side by side, please please post up.

2 If they are the same, what is the length of the MA70 front drive shaft? I'd like to verify whehter I am actually in possession of the correct shaft or not.

3 If they are different, what is the length of the MA70 front drive shaft? I'd like to verify whehter I am actually in possession of the correct shaft or not.

Thank you guys for your help

-Jago

Last edited:

Jacob

the overkillist
Feb 11, 2007
East Coast USA
Ric, that is the direction that I am headed, but that does not satisfy the collective knowledge here. Everyone here has been saying that they are the same, when they are not. The mis information floating around cause me to buy a $100 shaft for no reason. I am just wanting to clarify things for the collective knowledge here at SM.

So anyway I found out from Luckyguy01 that my shaft is indeed a Ma70 R154 shaft. Not that I was really expecting it to be anything else. It's just a process of elimination.

Now since I have the MA70 shaft and it is indeed too short and Cressidas being the the same as far as things lining up, the MA70 shaft is not the what is need in a JZ swap . . . for the Ma70 or the MX83.

I know one guy on the Cressida forum say that he ran the JZA70 shaft. This guy below took measurements of both shafts. I can only guess where he deicided to measure from cuz that length is not tip to tail. I measure my Ma70 shaft tip to tip and it's 24.5 inches (give or take a 8th).

leclair;53367 said:
JZA70's first propeller shaft length is 524mm, MA70's is 513mm.
The transmission cases are same.
So, I think shifter location is different by 11mm.
They are almost same position.

So I still don't know what the difference is on the JZA70 shaft but they are diferent period.

Thanks again Lucky

Cheers,
Jago

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
Yeah, alot of that driveshaft info crossed to the SC300's also. Getting a Soarer R154 driveshaft is impossible, and they are $1200 new. People have said a MK3 R154 front on a SC300 rear worked with the R154, but in fact, it doesn't, it's 1in short also.

Another cheap choice which SC300 people do, is just get a new tube on the front prop shaft with the R154 yoke. With that, you at least get the stability of the 2 piece, but it's not as strong as a single.