Driftmotion Exhaust - Straight Pipe in place of Resonator??

755hp

Goal - 755hp
Jul 19, 2012
Tri-State Area & MI
So I've been driving around with my DM Exhaust (w/ DM downpipe) for almost three months now and honestly....it's too damn quiet (for me). The DM Exhaust comes with a resonator integrated into the midpipe (no CATs). I was thinking to get two flanges and weld them onto a straight pipe replacing the resonator midpipe.

Question: How much of a "sound" difference would removing a resonator on a 7mgte (w/ stock exhaust manifold) make by replacing it with a straight pipe?? Would it be noticeably louder??

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Usually a resonator cuts down on the "raspyness" of the exhaust. I would personally leave it on, but I like my cars to have a quiet, yet smooth aggressive sound. I can't stand raspy exhausts.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
No resonator = D R O N E

Not going to get rasp out of a turbo engine as the turbo muffles that.

IMHO you're crazy. If you want louder get a DDP or something so when you're cruising it's not droning you to the point of wanting to /wrists

uncmk3nut

Apr 12, 2012
wilmington, nc
yea i thought the resonator= no drone and maybe you should try different types of resonators to see if you can find one you like. They make ones that are more quiet so find one that isn't. The resonator might lower your hp but you can make up for that with other bolt-on mods. A little gain in hp is not worth trashing the reso... Plus idk if it will hurt the engine by getting rid of the resonator but Toyota/Yamaha (whoever) spent millions designing their resonators so if it's a DD keep it.

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
I run no resonator on my 3" and from about 1900-2300 RPM it drones badly... Had my buddy in the car the other day going up a hill at about 2k and he said he wasn't able to think straight with the amount of noise. Keep the resonator in my opinion.

Supra mn

Oct 10, 2012
Jacksonville/Nebraska
You took the silencer out of the tailpipe right?

I love my DM exhaust, somewhat quiet at idle yet still sounds mean, and loud as hell when you go WOT. Sounds amazing.

If you think that's quiet, just go open downpipe..

755hp

Goal - 755hp
Jul 19, 2012
Tri-State Area & MI
Supra mn;2020675 said:
You took the silencer out of the tailpipe right?

I love my DM exhaust, somewhat quiet at idle yet still sounds mean, and loud as hell when you go WOT. Sounds amazing.

If you think that's quiet, just go open downpipe..

Lol, I ran a DM open downpipe from March to until I got my DM exhaust in June; maybe thats why I think its too quiet (I'm spoiled coming from an open downpipe).