Drift motion 7MGTE inercooler kit

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
In the process, almost finished, just trying to find a place for my oil cooler, so far Ive had to relocate my overflow bottle and my oil cooler, along with trimming the hood latch support. Very not bolt on, and a pain in the ass when you don't expect such tasks to be necessary. Mine however is the cx racing version which looks identical from the pictures.

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
hha neither was I but I purchased it a while back, and from what it seems alot of kits with large intercoolers will require some relocation. I know some of the pricier ones that do require relocation include brackets though. That would make it MUCH easier.

Bzdaname

Auto Dorifto Master
Mar 30, 2005
near Fredericksburg
students.umw.edu
thanks! Sorry, I did a search and found this thread so I didn't see the other one on the main forums page...damned if I do....damned if I don't I suppose. So, blackdawg any fitment issues with your driftmotion kit? Oilcooler/coolant overflow/horn relocation? Hoodlatch modification?

Blackdawg

Taco Soup..my rides
Oct 12, 2010
Wyoming
Well...i dont know yet haha i am still in the slow process of putting it all together :p haha

not sure what you mean by hoodlatch mod..

but im pretty sure everything else will be pretty simple. the turbo kit took some elbow grease, oil cooler is pretty strait forward tho i did change the ends on two of the hoses that came with kit to 90s. check my build thread man

Bzdaname

Auto Dorifto Master
Mar 30, 2005
near Fredericksburg
students.umw.edu
well I'm talking strictly the intercooler kit. Some guy on here Rajunkenny I wanna say his name is, said he didn't have to relocate ANYTHING and even got a BIGGER oil cooler. Then Devin Leblanc (sorry if I'm butchering names here) said he had to relocate his oil cooler and his coolant overflow tank and his horns and an a/c sensor and even shave his hood latch. And thats not even mentioning a/c components. I'm keeping my a/c and it just seems as if nobody is giving any definite feedback that corroborates with others. Anyone heard from bigaaron from driftmotion? I've sent him a few pm's with responses being limited...maybe i caught him at a bad time.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Your not really going to be able to add a bigger ic and not relocate the stock oil cooler. Even so its easily moved.

Bzdaname

Auto Dorifto Master
Mar 30, 2005
near Fredericksburg
students.umw.edu
I'm not worried about the oil cooler really, I've had to add a trans cooler and mount that as well...running out of room. But the hood latch modificatons and coolant overflow tanks and horns, thats a bit much for what is presented as a "bolt-on" kit. I just wanna know what I'm getting into and be prepared to do it if I'm investing my money

bloodasp90

JZwhore of JAPAN
Nov 9, 2007
on the river
as soon as i can, ill post pictures of mine, i got mine on, and im totally loving it too.. its a really nice fit to the front easy to put on, and you can use some of the brackets that you take off of the stock stuff and just bend them around to get the oil cooler to fit in behind it, super easy.

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY
BigKO;1581830 said:
In the process, almost finished, just trying to find a place for my oil cooler, so far Ive had to relocate my overflow bottle and my oil cooler, along with trimming the hood latch support. Very not bolt on, and a pain in the ass when you don't expect such tasks to be necessary. Mine however is the cx racing version which looks identical from the pictures.

My friend and coworker has the CX racing kit installed on his car and he did have to relocate the coolant overflow and oil cooler, not sure on the hood latch. Horns are still in the same location as far as I know. He eliminated the stock air box, added a length of bent and polished pipe to the front of the AFM and ran the pipe through the hole in the rad. core support directly below the pass.headlight. The air filter is now located in the recess between the fender and bumper cover (and out of the hot engine bay!). The coolant overflow bottle was relocated to approx. the same location of the stock airbox, and the oilcooler is affixed to the back side of the intercooler itself. I will try to get some pics tomorrow at work when I see him and then post them on here for you to get an idea of how it could go for you.

It is not a 100% bolt on kit, and WILL require a minimal amount of reworking of components, but for the bang for the buck, you can't beat it. When dealing with non-factory parts, you should always take the manufacturer's claims of "bolt-on simplicity" with a BIG grain of salt and be prepared for the possibility of minor modification being necessary.

One thing to note on the BOV included in this kit: the spring is weak and will leak boost even at stock levels. He had to take it apart and find a stronger spring before it would hold up to even 10 lbs. of boost, but now the reaction time is too long and it doesn't open between quick shifts very well, so you may want to look for another bov to use with the kit if you do get it. My 2 pennies...