Drag Suspension set-ups

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
I am building my MK III for drag racing, I am wondering what suspension setups you guys have had success with and which ones to avoid. If you could list what your running and the experiences you have had with them I would apprieciate it!

Thanks,
-Sam

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
stock works well

duane is the only guy i know of that has cut a good 60' on stiff coilovers.

ksport offers some soft springs that might work well, havent tried it yet.

big thing that will help is to disconnect the front sway bar. it really helps weight transfer. wesbeech on here is/was making some quick disconnects or you could make your own.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
I have the Bilstien shocks with stock springs. This gave me the drop that I was looking for and a great launch suspension for drag. I wanted a little stiffer suspension and a little drop so this was the route I went.

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
Frontier- how do you like that set-up? What kind of 60', 1/4mile times, etc have you been able to attain with this? Im also looking for a slight drop, more of a functional, not slammed/showy kind of drop. Do you think that the Bilstein shocks combined with an aftermarket spring would be more helpful for launching than with stockers?

Thanks
-Sam

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
87M-GTE;1299676 said:
Frontier- how do you like that set-up? What kind of 60', 1/4mile times, etc have you been able to attain with this? Im also looking for a slight drop, more of a functional, not slammed/showy kind of drop. Do you think that the Bilstein shocks combined with an aftermarket spring would be more helpful for launching than with stockers?

Thanks
-Sam

No, if you want an even lower drop go with the aftermarket springs. But for weight transfer stick with the stock springs. Just lower the perch on the Bilsteins to where you want it. I love the ride so far, haven't got to launch it very much with the car running right, putting in another new motor this next week. I'll be back in force next month.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
If you search for suspension setups under my name you will come up with a couple threads that I started about this.

sthmstr

May 29, 2008
Colorado
Keep your stock springs, but do an adjustable shock like the Tokico. Then turn the shock as loose at it will go. Then ditch your rear swaybar. It will sqat like crazy and be super floaty like a Cadilac but will keep your rear tires planted. If you are running slicks then I would stay away from lowering the back of the car. Maybe run some springs in fron to rake it and add stability, but if you drop the rear you will loose sidewall in your slick. Also ditch your stock gas tank then put a fuel cell low, to the back and centered. Then you can easily fit a 12" slick. Also beef up your trailing arms. either with the Lipp or make your own with heim joints so you won't have as much axle wobble.