downpipe too short by 1 inch!

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
I finally got around to installing my 3" downpipe and elbow, and have run into a problem at the connection to the front of the cat. The downpipe appears to be about 1 inch too short, so that when I bolt it to the stock hanger/cat everything gets pulled forward and up, and fitment is poor.

Question: was there any change to the position of the front hanger/cat flange over the years (I have a 90T), or is my downpipe length faulty.

92turbo4life

Banned
Sep 12, 2005
wherever
wait i dont know if your talking about what i am. but on diffrent years... arent the cats diffrent sizes... when i ordered my test pipe there where 2 sizes?

mtoxracerfss

Boost Addict
Oct 8, 2005
Toledo
Your downpipe is faulty most likey. what brand? I would just take it to an exhaust shop and have them either extend it, or if you can find a cool shop, have them makeyou a 3" test pipe.

Red '88T

Apr 6, 2005
Arizona
Would you happen to have a Blitz Nur Spec catback? They are about an inch shorter...I think they were fabbed for a 1J???

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Red '88T said:
Would you happen to have a Blitz Nur Spec catback? They are about an inch shorter...I think they were fabbed for a 1J???

Read my mind ;) I've got a Blitz and it is in fact about an inch short.

suprajjang

Supra Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2005
VA
jdub said:
Read my mind ;) I've got a Blitz and it is in fact about an inch short.
are you sure about that? My blitz nur spec was an inch too long so i had to get it cut

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
suprajjang said:
are you sure about that? My blitz nur spec was an inch too long so i had to get it cut

Yeah - pretty sure. I installed it before I replaced my downpipe several years ago (one of my 1st upgrades) and had to pull the piping to the CAT. Had to replace a couple of stock rubber hangers with the donut type to get it to work. I'm starting to think Blitz may have some quality control issues...:3d_frown:

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Thanks for the help everyone. I have the HKS Turbo D2 cat back and it connects fine to the stock cat/downpipe setup. The new downpipe is shorter such that if I connect it to the front cat hanger it is misaligned by 1.4 inches to the hanger on the body. My options seem to be to make a 1.4 inch test pipe!!, or get a new downpipe. Its a cheap Pipe Line downpipe from ebay so I think I will dump it and get something better.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I'd keep the downpipe and make a 1.4" test pipe as you mentioned. Or just have an exhaust shop make you one then take it home and bolt it on. No need to scrap the downpipe just becuase it doesn't say HKS on it.