Door locks, not locking. Help

Smashey

Dec 29, 2010
Grande Prairie
Hello everybody i have been having trouble with my 87 supra. The electric door locks arent working that well, they unlock just fine but when i go to lock the doors both of them go halfway but dont lock all the way leaving it unlocked.

By hand if i push the lock lever to lock position then get out pull the handle up shut it and let go (takes some practice, kinda like classic cars) it locks.

What could be the cause of this maybe the elcetric locking celenoid? Or could it be the locks them selves?

I really really need this to work as a i have a nice stereo installed i dont want it to be stollen because it didnt lock right

Sent from my GT-I9000M using Tapatalk

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Could be electric locks going bad or maybe bent rods if they have been fiddled with recently.

jrot

Apr 11, 2010
knob noster, MO
i have this problem on my 89 also on my driver door all my clips and rods seem to be in good order...but the resistance on the rods in mine appear to be from the lock itself...i was gonna try to remove the lock assymbly so i was gonna remove it and see if they were lubricated in some way...i will report back with findings.....

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
I have this same problem, usually when cold or over the winter. Last spring I took out the door handle cup thing, and shot some silicone lubricant onto the elver arm that unlocks/locks the door and it worked until a few weeks ago. Now I have to do what OP is doing: push lock switch with left hand, push electric lock button with right hand...try to open door (sometimes it doesn't lock all the way and the door will open, then I have to restart). Annoying.

Aug 12, 2010
P.G. County, Maryland
I have to push on lock button, pull up on handle, let go of button, let go of handle to get my passenger side to lock. I didn't have the problem until a few weeks ago. I took off my door panels when i put the Kenwoods in my doors. I think we all have the same problem. we took the door apart, and broke something. lol

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
Mine used to do this when it was cold. I pulled the side panels off and lubricated the parts/levers/actuators and voila! Works much better. WD-40 can do wonders.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Don't use WD-40, it will remove any old grease without replacing it, causing rapid wear. There's a reason it's used as cutting oil...

But yes, it's old grease and cold weather. If you know what you're doing, it's not hard to disassemble, clean, and relube the assemblies.

Supra469

Apr 20, 2007
Maryland
Poodles;1664274 said:
Don't use WD-40, it will remove any old grease without replacing it, causing rapid wear. There's a reason it's used as cutting oil...

But yes, it's old grease and cold weather. If you know what you're doing, it's not hard to disassemble, clean, and relube the assemblies.

Can you expound some more on this so that we too can know a bit more about what we need to do to fix our locks. Thanks.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Dont use wd. Wd is great to clean hands and remove greese. Get it? You want greese on the rod joints so everything operates smoothly. White lithium grease would work good.

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
Learn something new everyday, I suppose. Looks like I'll pull it apart again and use the lithium grease I also have.

Supra469

Apr 20, 2007
Maryland
Ok all, so where to use White Lithium grease and where to use graphite? I need to do this also, sick of my doors locks sticking etc. Thanks.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Supra469;1664403 said:
Can you expound some more on this so that we too can know a bit more about what we need to do to fix our locks. Thanks.

Not really, I know there is a write-up on these forums somewhere on it though...

Lots of small parts that have to go back in the exact spot they came from. I'm good at it, not everyone else is.

jrot

Apr 11, 2010
knob noster, MO
haha....must be nice...im sure its a job we can all handle...ill try to find the write up guys....maybe one of us could come up with it...but im good at searching not everyone is....just joking you poodles...

jrot

Apr 11, 2010
knob noster, MO
that is awesome....but its not my issue exactly...although it will probly fix why i cant use the key on my driver door at all....if i do this will it also help with the automatic locking action? thats my main concern at the moment...it will unlock no problem but wont lock all the way...just halfway...or is that a whole different issue on its own?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
BrandonW;1665177 said:

THANK YOU, I kept looking but couldn't find it, felt like a noob :rofl:

hvyman;1665182 said:
Just to note. Speaker grill does not need to be removed to remove door panel.

True, but it makes it easier to unplug the window switch.

jrot;1665187 said:
that is awesome....but its not my issue exactly...although it will probly fix why i cant use the key on my driver door at all....if i do this will it also help with the automatic locking action? thats my main concern at the moment...it will unlock no problem but wont lock all the way...just halfway...or is that a whole different issue on its own?

True, more than likely has to do with other things, but you're in there anyway. Usually the locks get a little screwy as well.