"Don't fix it unless it's broken"

TomatoSupra

Good afternoon, Last summer i bought an 88 5 speed 7M-GE Supra (133,XXX) and i am trying to decide what to do with it right off the bat. I have already had my timing belt EXPLODE in my cover, so i dont have to worry about that anymore lol, and i have done two oil changes before i put it in the garage for the winter. Being that it is put away for the winter, is there anything i should seriously consider doing? This question stems out of the fact that i have been doing a lot of learking today, and have seen TONS of stuff about BHG's.

TL;DR If there is not any problem currently with my head gasket, should i worry about it?

Thanks,

Dan

::bhg::

80083r

Testing is always a good idea - there are ways to tell if your headgasket is blown.

I'm not an expert - but:
i) compression test
ii) leakdown test
iii) some magical thing I can't remember the name of where you test the ph of your coolant/oil (somebody help me out there, please)

TomatoSupra

Well, there's no evidence right now that there is any problems, and that's where my question goes back to. I'm just wondering if there is any preventative maintenance i can do, or if its just better to replace it now and be done with it.

suprafreak123

Oct 23, 2013
Costa mesa
I would would check oil leaks and have those fix.Also do compression test just to see how it stand on all cylinders.Next would do preventive maintenance spark plugs,cable,air filter,fuel filter,oil change ect.......Every car need some loving and they would always run right.Dont fall into the BS where 7m garbage.The are incredible engines .

TomatoSupra

I agree. It was just killing me reading through the forums because every other post is about a BHG and now i feel like im sitting on a ticking time bomb hahaha.

I did hear word though that i should tighten my OEM bolts to a certain Torque, like 82 or something like that, and i was thinking as long as i take off the whole intake and valve covers and stuff to do that, i might as well just do the HG too...

Or, i could just let it sit, and hope for the best lol

suprafreak123

Oct 23, 2013
Costa mesa
Well if you are going to remove those parts you are almost there might as well go all the way.There is a guy selling ARP bolt Brand new $100.00 shipped.He is in the for sale section.

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
80083r;1976616 said:
Testing is always a good idea - there are ways to tell if your headgasket is blown.

I'm not an expert - but:
i) compression test
ii) leakdown test
iii) some magical thing I can't remember the name of where you test the ph of your coolant/oil (somebody help me out there, please)

Its a rental tool at any auto parts store. you buy the bottle of fluid. then rent the tester tool. pour some of it in the tester & when you get to operating temps you use it to test to see if any exhaust gases are in your coolant. i believe it starts off blue & turns yellow if there are exhaust gases. could be other way around yellow > blue

Roger UK

Jun 20, 2010
Newcastle
You'll soon know if you have a BHG - you'll start getting pressurizing in the cooling system (water spurting into the header tank), and often coolant loss and white smoke out of the exhaust ! I wouldn't bother doing any of those tests UNLESS you suspect you have a BHG.

The main thing is NEVER let the engine overheat, because on a 7M engine ONE overheat almost always means a BHG ! So make sure ALL the hoses have been replaced, including the small ones that go to the throttle body, and the small L-shaped ones on the back of the head and by the water pump.

Definitely recommend increasing the Head-bolt torque, mainly to stop them coming loose (as they can do with original factory spec) - although this may have been done by a previous owner.

With stock HG and stock bolts I recommend 75 ft-lbs. Did that when I first bought my car 14 years ago, and never had a BHG (now done 220,000 miles since I bought it.)

Having said that, BHGs are MUCH more common on the Turbocharged 7M engines, especially when you start upping the boost. (which is why I chose an N/A Supra!)