Doing Suspension. NEED HELP!!!

nibaumer

Oct 30, 2012
Oregon
So I have an 89 MKIII. I'm looking to upgrade the suspension. I need help figuring out what brands and combinations work best for me. I don't have TEMS, I don't want to go to coilovers, and I'm looking for something that will give me a sporty feel and a conservative lowering. I wanna do struts, springs, poly bushing, sway bars and strut tower bars. Can anyone enlighten me?

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Yes:
Most people(including myself) would suggest either Eibach or H&R springs, paired up with tockico blue, KYB or(if you're baller) Koni or Bilstein struts.
Koni's cost more, but you can adjust their stiffness.

Poly bushings- Most people go with Energy suspension, because they're affordable and effective.

Sway bars: Suspension Techniques or Whiteline

Strut bars: Don't do anything but look cool, and add 5 more minutes to your spark plug changes.
:)

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
B&G springs are supposed to sit a bit lower then the Eibach's.

I have Eibach's springs sitting in the garage for my car, I'll be pairing them with KYB shocks.
If I planned on keeping the lowering springs for more then a year I would go with Koni yellow shocks (but you are looking at $750 for shocks and springs and coil overs start at $900)

To finish it off, energy suspension black control arm bushings. The black ones are graphite impregnated to reduce squeaks.

While your at it make sure to replace ball joints and tie rods if needed.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I found that the black ones don't really do much for squeaking. I still had to remove some arms after greasing and installing just to regrease because they still squeaked. And the bushings are supposed to be self lubricating. hah :p

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Nope, the black ones are just...black.

Also, if you go with bilstein shocks, the lower spring perch has different spots it can sit in so you cna lower the car without changing springs.