Do I need to upgrade my pressure plate?

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
www.houstonareasupras.com
I need opinions. I was going to take my supra to get my map ecu tuned in a couple weeks. I'm on a stock clutch and pressure plate but I'm shooting for 400rwhp.

Do I need to upgrade to the action stage 3 pressure plate now(before my tune) or will the stock clutch hold for a little while? The clutch is fairly new. Need opinions asap. TX2k11 is coming up in a little over a month.

fonz87

89 Turbo!!!!
Nov 17, 2007
Streamwood, IL
Would like to know the same thing ? How much power can a Stock Disc will hold and also how well the clutch will do with Action Pressure plate.

Thanks.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
For what its worth, 92NSX and myself are running very similar setups with only a few differences. One of the main ones is he is still on a stock clutch and I am using a SPEC stage 3+. We both made 417.41hp, and were both near 380-400tq. He drives like your grandma and as such, the stocker has held up so far. I am now running E-85 and am making a whole lot more torque because of that (IMO) but now the SPEC 3+ s starting to show signs of slippage... I can only imagine what his clutch would be doing at this point. D:

My advice would be to upgrade the whole clutch system to a higher holding unit, rather than throw a higher clamp PP at it alone. This is only my opinion, but I believe its valid :)

(PS, I freakin love this 3+ <3 )

Last edited:

Kevin

7mgte -> 7mgte swap done.
Apr 20, 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada
might as well upgrade the entire clutch unit to something appropriate if you're willing to go through the trouble of swapping pressure plates.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
id replace it all with a clutch and pp rated for your power goals. replacing the clutch in the supra isnt to much of a hassle, but as stated, depedning how you dirve a stock could last years or is could last a couple of months