Distributor Cap Question

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
Does anyone have, use, or know if they even make a Distributor cap with a vent? Mine does not have one and it seems with the condensation here by the coast I get allot of moisture in the cap which seems to cause arching then the caps material seems to degrade causing even more. It doesn’t happen over but it sure seems like I replace the cap on my supra far more than I even have on other cars that had a vent.

Thanks Rick

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
I'm replacing everything this weekend. I see some oil dripping into the distributor housing, is this coming from the oring, or can it wick up a loose shaft?

Thanks Rick

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Years back, my father put a latex glove over his distributor to solve this problem. Cut little holes in the ends of the fingers for the wires too. Granted, that was a 4cyl engine.

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
I just pulled the old Distributor Shaft O'ring out and it is a Standard 219 Oring. I suggest if anyone ever replaces it to buy a Viton 219 Oring, then it won't leak or get dried out from engine oils like buna rubber does. Also use some Oring Lube, it helps keep it moist and sealed almost forever.

bluepearl

Jul 21, 2005
pa.
The oil in the housing is coming up the shaft and past the internal seal. these can be purchased seperately, but not from toyota. use search and you will find out the info.