Dim Brake light in speedo gage

suprabee

Celicasupra.com Member
May 18, 2006
Scotts Valley, California
I have a 92 7MGTE, auto.
I've searched and found nothing specific to my problem which is....

Sometimes upon starting up the engine, the brake light in the speedo gage will very dimly light up. ONLY the brake light will glow dimily, NOT the battery light at all, or the "rear brake light out" indicators.

Sometimes it will grow a little brighter and then dull again only to brighten again. The longest the light has done this is for about 15 seconds at most. Usually it is only dim for a couple seconds. It is NEVER as bright as when the E-brake is on.

And also,
1) I have plenty of brake fluid
2) All my driving, brake, parking lights are OK

I cannot seem to make any visual observations connecting the erratic brake light to my alternator/charging system or any other dash function. Meaning, that I see no change in the light (when it comes on, of course) if I rev the engine or turn on any accessory/fan/radio/etc. And like I said, the light goes off after, at most, 15 seconds.

Also, note that I have not observed it come on while driving at this point, only when first starting the engine. Engine can be either hot or cold.

So.......Has anyone experiences this EXACT symptom and/or found a resolution????

Thanks for your time.
Rick

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
I have the same problem with my 88 N/A at the moment - i'm told that its the bulb failure module - its located behind the passenger side rear lamp cluster (for you) - check that no water has gotten into the unit and that all the connections are tight.

suprabee

Celicasupra.com Member
May 18, 2006
Kai said:
- i'm told that its the bulb failure module - its located behind the passenger side rear lamp cluster (for you) - check that no water has gotten into the unit and that all the connections are tight.

by bulb failure module, do you mean the parking and/or brake lights?
What do you mean by "behind" the lamp cluster?
thanks for your post, just need a little clarification please.
rick

killarb634

Apr 1, 2005
Jersey's here
Your talking about the red light that says brake in it correct. It is the relay to the e-brake. Tells you when the e brake is on or when it is off. Probally faulty wiring on the ebrake handle. I have the same thing but it doesn't bother me. i know the ebrake isn't on but the light stays on.

suprabee

Celicasupra.com Member
May 18, 2006
killarb634 said:
Your talking about the red light that says brake in it correct. It is the relay to the e-brake. Tells you when the e brake is on or when it is off. Probally faulty wiring on the ebrake handle. I have the same thing but it doesn't bother me. i know the ebrake isn't on but the light stays on.

Yes I am speaking of the red light that says "brake" and I am aware that it indicates if the e-brake is on or off. I don't believe it is the wiring in the e-brake handle, as moving the handle has no effect on the light when it is dim (or fully bright for that matter). If it were a loose connection in the handle, then I should see some change in the light. When the light becomes dim at engine startup, pulling up on the e-brake causes the light to go to full brightness, as it should, then releasing the handle and it is back to dim again.

killarb634

Apr 1, 2005
Jersey's here
Ok well if it is staying on its a wiring or relay issue. Think about it. Maybe when the ebrake is down the relay is still letting power through it but not as much as when it is up. Is there a relay for it? I don't know. If you were to cut the ebrake wire would it completly go out? I"ll try it tomorrow cause mine also stays on but i'll have to reconnect it because of my turbo timer (which i also am having a problem with http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29570)
Help would be appreciated

SPD TRP

Formerly 3rdtimearound
Apr 12, 2005
Katy Texas
Check your brake fluid, mine did the same thing, turned out to be the brake master cylinder cap. It has a low warning feature built into it. Mine would light up very dim for maybe 5 minutes upon first start up in the mornings, then it would go off and stay off the rest to the day. Changed the cap, problem gone.

Wayne