Differential Whining on Acceleration

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOUBL3 D

Banned
Aug 22, 2010
Chesterfield,MO
www.facebook.com
Alright, so my diff has been whining for awhile and yesterday it got to the point where under any load at all it started to whine. It's a 3.91 LSD with 107,000 miles, has not been rebuilt to my knowledge.

I've looked at full-on rebuilds and they seem to be pretty pricey. I changed the fluid yesterday and there was just a little bit of metallic stuff, not much at all. Still whines with the new fluid though. I don't know much about differentials but I've read that it could be the pre-load and all it would need is new shims. Weir Performance has a good kit for $45 for 8 shims and a stiffer spring (http://www.weirperformance.com/maxgriplsdkits.html), I just don't know how much money it would be to have it installed and or if I need a full rebuild kit. It's not something I have the knowledge of or tools to do. The alternate option would be to find another diff in the classifieds. I need to save as much money as I can as I'm one pay check short of having all the parts for my swap.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Will

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Time for a diff tear down to set the pinion depth and backlash. Yeah, you will get a new bearing and set preload. It isn't hard to do, but you need specific tools and to know how to do it.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Crush sleeve failure as usual... The OEMs use them because it's faster to set up, but a spacer and shims doesn't lose preload on the bearings.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
DOUBL3 D;1942654 said:
So I don't need a full on rebuild, that kit from Weir would suffice?

The kit from Weir is for the clutch packs... different part of the diff, and full teardown is required anyway. Plus, if you're in there, you should probably replace other things or it's a waste of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.