differences in knock sensors

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
i know we use the round plug knock sensor and mk4s use the square plug ks but are there any other differenes between the two? can we use mk4 ks on our cars and just switch to the square plugs?

i can see on my mk3 round plug sensors it has a 76 on each one. the small numbers are different. would ks out of a lexus 1uz work on our cars or do they have a different frequency since they are on a v8 instead of straight 6?

are the ks the same on all toyota engines?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Actually there are 2 different plug styles on the mk3 and you cna find them on many other engines as well.

Edit: Heres the link to all the year/cars that share the same plugs. Yours is a pre89 tho so i might have looked up 89+ but it shows years and p/n.

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
hvyman;1614690 said:
Actually there are 2 different plug styles on the mk3 and you cna find them on many other engines as well.

yea the round plug on our cars which must be old style and the square plug on mk4s or about 93 and up toyotas.
can the actual ks be switched between cars/engines? such as take some ls400 1uz ks and wire them into the 7m with ks rewire and use the square plugs?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
There all old now a days. Pre89 had round plugs and 89+ had square plugs.

Damn totally spaced on putting the link.
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291420/part.aspx?S=89615

I'm not to sure if there interchangeable if you just splice the harness, which is shielded so unless you know how to properly do it it can be a pain, throw a code, and make your car run like shit.

Plus with junkyards and all and the price of a good used sensor i dont see the why.

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
i believe the 91+ had square plug ks along with the square plug o2 sensor.

it would seem that mk4, camry and celica all use the same knock sensor. the differences in the style of plug does not matter to me i am just wondering if the frequency is the same. can the ks in a celica be used on the 7m electronics and do its job correctly.