Differences in coolant temp sensors for ecu between pre-89 and post-89 7Ms?

the t3d

P B4 A
Sep 30, 2006
Titusville, FL
Right now I have a post-89 connector on my pre-89 GTE harness, with the proper sensor. I'm trying to figure out if I should swap it back to the old setup. Nothing seemed to operate improperly when I ran it this way, but I just wanna know if there are different resistance values that I should know about or as long as coolant temp sensor is working properly, they should all be fine? The pre-89 connectors are hard to find, but I found an aftermarket kit that comes with connector and sensor, very
similar to our design. Any thoughts????

Thanks!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Which sensor?

You can can boil the sensor in water and measure the resistance and check each one. Iirc doesn't matter just the connector is different. Should be fine

the t3d

P B4 A
Sep 30, 2006
Titusville, FL
https://www.driftmotion.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DM261&CartID=2

This is temp sensor for the pre-89s that goes to the computer, I just have the post-89 version of this w/ proper connector. I never HAD problems with it before. I just didn't know if you guys knew more about the numbers than I do. I wish I could stock up on pigtails for every connector we have. If they have universal coolant temp sensors, the only thing that WOULD be different should be the resistance values, right? Also, thank you for the reply.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
For the Ecu the resistance values need to be close. The stock sensor should be fine if different years. As they get used on all the engines.

Again you can check each sensor with a ohm meter and boiling the sensor in water. 3 different temps and resistance values and you can make a linear graph