Difference between the 86-88 and 89+ coolant sensors

smagnotta

SuprSal
Apr 5, 2005
WashPa
Hello,

Anyone know the difference between the 86.5 to 88 coolant sensors and the 89+ ones? I think the newer MK3 Supras (89+) have 2 additional sensors?

Background:
I have an 87 turbo. I needed a new engine harness so I purchased one from Champion Toyota. The harness was for an 88 Supra. They do not have any more new ones for my year. I also have a 2 ECUs to use (original 87 and an 88).

I am doing this because my current engine harness is no good. It has been spliced, and is brittle. My ECU may be going to - that is why I have another one just in case (purchased used here).

This new harness has 2 connections for coolant sensors that I do not have since mine is an 87. I am assuming the 86.5 to 88 Supras have two less coolant sensors than the 89+ Supras.

The two extra connections on the harness are a clear single slide on one (this looks like it goes to the coolant sensor with the metal tab on it), and a blue one with a single entry port.

If I stay with my 87 ECU I should not have to worry about these extra coolant sensors. However, if I use an ECU compatible with this new harness (the 88 one I have is), then I probably need these extra 2 sensors.

Can anyone help? A picture of the extra sensors would help a lot. Or simply a picture of an 89+ coolant sensor setup.

Thanks,
Sal

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
The only coolant sensor required for the car to run is the 2 wire on the side of the housing, this one reports temp to the ECU. The single wire temp sensors control the stock eletric fans, and the two wire on top of the housing is for the CSI.

smagnotta

SuprSal
Apr 5, 2005
WashPa
Bishop92t said:
The only coolant sensor required for the car to run is the 2 wire on the side of the housing, this one reports temp to the ECU. The single wire temp sensors control the stock eletric fans, and the two wire on top of the housing is for the CSI.

Thanks. I found out that my 87 Turbo does not have the auxiliary fan switch sensor and the a/c fan switch sensor that newer MK3 models have.

Aspec

Supra uber alles
Dec 22, 2005
Surprise, AZ
jetjock said:
As Bishop pointed out the 2 wire on the side is for the EFI system. The others are for the temp gage, aux condenser fans, and AC high temp cutout. Fwiw my 87 has all of these.

As does my 87.

i-Supra 002ar.jpg

smagnotta

SuprSal
Apr 5, 2005
WashPa
As Bishop pointed out the 2 wire on the side is for the EFI system. The others are for the temp gage, aux condenser fans, and AC high temp cutout. Fwiw my 87 has all of these.

Yes thanks but like I said my 87 Turbo never had these, and my original 87 engine harness does not have the connections for them.

My production date is September 86, 5 speed, Turbo.

I wonder if I can sneak another question in here. Can someone explain the throttle body year differences? I know the automatic and manual cars have different versions, but is there much difference in the 86.5 to 88 versus the 89+ throttle bodies? I would assume the TPS is different but I am not sure.