Differances in 1J revision

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
OneJSupra said:
nah joe and ric go for it ... it's all for FUN! :naughty:
It's not fun. This is typical Ric-ish behavior and I don't want people thinking making their PCV hose longer is going to prevent them from blowing turbos.

Nor do I want to read any threads of someone asking why their turbos blew up even though they were using the longer PCV vent hose.

The real evidence is there. If the PCV 1-way valve fails, you're probably gonna have some problems with the turbos shortly after that. It won't matter if you have the long or short vent hose on the exhaust side. It's irrelevant. Buying a new PCV 1-way valve is what someone should do.

I've had 3 1JZ engines, 4 sets of stock twins, in two Supras with the early and later hose vent.

1JZ engine #1, early style, with turbo set #1: Engine blew up. Turbos still fine.

1JZ engine #2, early style, with turbo set #2: Fired up first time, smoked like freight train. Swapped turbos out with turbo set #1. Car ran fine but started smoking again about a year later

1JZ engine #3, later style, with turbo set #3: Turbos were fine. Blew about 3 weeks after buying car. Replaced with turbo set #4. Turbos ran fine up until I removed them to upgrade to current Blitz turbos. Engine #3 already had a set of turbos changed out before I bought the car, so I guess you can call that turbo set #5 that were dead from the previous owner.

5 sets of turbos in total. 2 blown on early style short hose setup. 2 blown on later style long hose setup. 1 set still fine but may have blown at any given point had I not removed them. If the longer style hose really fixed anything, this should not have happened, right?

In retrospect, I should have changed the 1-way PCV valve in all cases and maybe I wouldn't have to have become so familiar with removing stock turbos.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
The pcv valve location was changed, but I doubt it effects the turbos.. With it in the y pipe, there is hardly any suction on it at wot... with it past the y in down in the intake pipe it will have more of a suction on it and will draw out gasses in the crank case..

Only reason if any the gen 2 turbos would last longer is cause they are newer, thats it.

Kosh

Sep 10, 2007
Edmonton
Sorry for these lame questions but i have 2:
-how can i check my egt's and what should they be
-how do i install my oil catch can? Where do i run my lines?

Sorry if these have been asked in previous threads but i tried searching for both on the site and google and didn't find much for 1jz specific. And i realized the catch can was somewhat already covered but i couldn't make sense of it. thanks

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
Ric said:
So you're saying that forum posters know more then toyota engineers? ok.

I have the set of turbos that Joe is talking about Ric. I blew that engine at almost 300K and the turbos are still fine! It had first gen piping with a 2JZ Valve. That post about some recall is nonsense. It was made by a "Forum poster" that thought that YSR knew more then Toyota engineers. I know this because I know this person.

Talking to someone from Top Secret that lived in Japan, and talking to one of the designers of the 1jz engine, I asked this question. Answer was: Because of crank case vacuum that's it, nothing more.

If you want your stock twins to last, change your oil with good oil. Use the 2jz PCV valve and check for boost leaks.

Last edited:

mk1spyder

Banned
Sep 11, 2005
Western NC
The 2JZ is metal, the 1JZ is plastic. The plastic valve will leak boost into your valve covers not only causing a boost leak but also half the reason 1J valve covers leak so bad.

bluemkiii

redmkiii's little brother
Jul 25, 2007
phoenix, AZ
mk1spyder said:
The 2JZ is metal, the 1JZ is plastic. The plastic valve will leak boost into your valve covers not only causing a boost leak but also half the reason 1J valve covers leak so bad.

oh, alright cool. I guess I'll have to replace that then. thanks for the help.

mk1spyder

Banned
Sep 11, 2005
Western NC
You can just goto advance or auto zone and get a metal one that will fit your car, forget the part number but just take ur 1J, best $3 upgrade I did.