Did your CT26 die slow or quick?

yankiwi

Aug 27, 2005
DFW
OK, here's the problem.

I just put a new 3in exhaust on my car. Drive slowly around the block to check it out. No smoke. Go out later and boost to maybe 1-2psi, drive back to the house, smoke out the ass???

It's white smoke, definitely oil smoke, so turbo seals........

This turbo has some shaft play, but boosts fine, still does, never had even a wisp of smoke before. Now it smokes on startup, a little under acceleration, and shitloads on decelleration.

Did your CT26 slowly start leaking, or did it just crap out instantly???

I want to know if I maybe caused its death somehow, or if this is common.

Thanks for any help.

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
yankiwi said:
OK, here's the problem.

I just put a new 3in exhaust on my car. Drive slowly around the block to check it out. No smoke. Go out later and boost to maybe 1-2psi, drive back to the house, smoke out the ass???

This turbo has some shaft play, but boosts fine, still does, never had even a wisp of smoke before. Now it smokes on startup, a little under acceleration, and shitloads on decelleration.

Thanks for any help.
my friends ct26 from his celica died instantely when he didnt pre- lube it. It was a very dry turbo that wasn't used in a bit and it crapped out...

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
I have a dry CT26, with minimal shaft play, but it doesn't spin as freely as it sounds like it should! I'm thinking it'll be ok though once I lube it and put it back on the car! Sorry i contributed nothing to this thread =P

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
South Shields, Tyne & Wear ENGLAND
yankiwi said:
OK, here's the problem.

Thanks for any help.

i thought oil smoke was always blue??

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Apparently it's only blue when coming from the combustion chamber, if it's from the turbo seals, it's white

Last edited:

yankiwi

Aug 27, 2005
DFW
Yeah, thats what I believe, blue smoke from rings/valve seals etc, and white smoke from turbo exhaust side.

This turbo was pre-oiled etc correctly, as its been on the car for a while now. No problems until now.

Just found it strange that I have had no warning, just started smoking pretty bad immediately???

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
yankiwi said:
Yeah, thats what I believe, blue smoke from rings/valve seals etc, and white smoke from turbo exhaust side.

This turbo was pre-oiled etc correctly, as its been on the car for a while now. No problems until now.

Just found it strange that I have had no warning, just started smoking pretty bad immediately???
dont forget blue smoke when your stupid freakign valve cover gaskets are leaking into the spark plugs -_-

koulee

Oct 11, 2005
yankiwi said:

Well the shaft play was the warning sign. My turbo has developed some side to side shaft play and I'm expecting it to die any day now, but since I drive my DD more than the supra, that won't happen for a little while.

yankiwi

Aug 27, 2005
DFW
Good point Koulee, the shaft play is a sign.

I realise that the turbo is far from perfect, with the exsiting shaft play, but from previous experience with other turbos I expected a more gradual death! My last turbo that blew seals (on a starion) got worse and worse over time. Not like this one.

b005t3d

Banned
Jul 14, 2005
bellevue,nashville, tn
the first stocker i lew went out on my with no wraning after working fine for 6 months. i was driving home one night and got the death whine and thats all she wrote. no smoke, no problems 30 seconds before that. just gone. i think its a matter of what are the terms when it does go.

sportinct26

Jan 15, 2006
cali
yankiwi said:
OK, here's the problem.

Thanks for any help.

i always thought that WHITE SMOKE=BHG and from experience it is lol... well smells like coolant to.

blue smoke/very light blue smoke is turbo seal. ive blown 3. 1XX,XXX miles then running it without rebuilt at 18 psi=blown lol. and if deacceleration its turbo seals.

yankiwi

Aug 27, 2005
DFW
Its definitely oil smoke. I've had 2 BHG's so I am pretty sure of the signs for that:biglaugh: Actually first thing I did after seeing the smoke was a compression test!

Oh well, I guess it is time to use the rebuild kit I bought a while ago. I was hoping to get more life out of this turbo than I did.

Thanks for all the replies.