Did not think it was this hard!!

SupraBro

So i have the funds to order my 1jzgte! But i can not find the right place or the right motor. Is it hard to find one that has come out of a mk3 in japan?? i want to find one that has a r154 5speed with the motor and full harness and ecu. If they come out of the sc's they have a ext on the shifter right?? This is my first jz swap and i am trying to find the best place to get one from. driftmotion does not show one in stock but i would like to deal with arron. what do you guys think?? any info would be great!!!

Thanks,
brandon

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Got mine from jdm engine corp. Super clean no sludge. I only wanted the complete engine with wiring and ecu and the only thing i was missing was the map sensor. Mine was front sump tho and only payed about 1175. Super clean motor inside and out tho.

There is also zerolift. He does a lot of business on zilvia.net. Heard a lot of good things about them and he should have a rear sump 1jz with supra r154.

Those would be about the only too places i would go. Thats just me tho.

supra1008

May 2, 2007
Philadelphia
I got mine on eBay. Whole front clip for $2500 shipped came with everything ( motor, turbos, harness, ecu, dash, trans. Even an extra bumper.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
As for finding Supra specific 1j's, I found one, but I haven't seen all that many that actually came from Supras. Then again, been a couple years now since I've shopped for engines.

I would call Aaron and see if he has anything in stock or in the pipeline, he's a great guy to deal with. :)

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
I'd venture to say that JZA70 motors were always in less supply than that of JZZ and JZX models. Quantities have always seemed to back up this argument, though it could be false.

Sadly, many of the places that were great sources have long since gone under.. JARCO and JHOT were two I'd always recommend along with Driftmotion. At this point, the latter is all that has survived the test of time.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
That's true Dylan... I bought mine at Jhot, friends of mine have gone through Jarco with good success, and DM has a good reputation around here for a reason. Although you might check with Jarco, they *might* still import the occasional order, last I checked they were still around.

CRsupraiii

Oct 24, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
I can second the JSpec reference. www.bestofjdm.com. They sent me the most gorgeous 1J I could have imagined, insanely clean. It was a chaser motor, but I think they effed up. Just make sure you talk to Sam on the phone and triple check that you want a JZA70 supra motor. They are going as far as replacing my transmission and helping me with a few small pieces damaged in shipping (for no charge, even though they don't cover that stuff normally). I had heard so many bad reports about so many importers but I can honestly say these guys at JSpec/BestOfJDM are outstanding. A very pleasant experience all the way around.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
brgrubbs24;1702565 said:
looks like arron at driftmotion has a front clip!!! but i bet shipping is going to be a bitch

You might be surprised. I shipped my motor/trans/etc from Georgia to the western edge of Wyoming for less than $500. A whole clip from Cali to Tennessee shouldn't be much more. :)

mk3_4me

Apr 24, 2011
Sandy Eggo
Whatever you do. DO NOT order from Tiger Japanese!!!!!!! I (and many others) have done this, & have been screwed over. They send you the wrong parts, & you'll be lucky if they're in decent condition. I ordered (and have my invoice papers to prove it) a rear sump motor, tranny, ECU, & harness from a JZA70 Supra, but ended up getting everything from the JZZ30 Soarer. As far as motors, it works fine. Transmission was a W58, though.

Again...........AVOID Tiger Japanese at all costs!

Mk3*Supra

Jun 14, 2010
Ohio
I agree about never ordering from Tiger Japanese.. heard way too many horror stories

We ended up ordering through a friend of mine who works at a local shop.. he has some reliable suppliers.. we asked for 2 1j's with r154s out of a jaz70 and wanted everything that came with it (and compression checked of course).. both are sitting at the friends shop now.. we are picking them up tuesday.. look great in the pics and my friend said they look amazing

but I did hear a 'rumor' of the 1j's maybe getting a little scarce after what happened in Japan because some of the ports might be closed for a while.. not sure if that's really the case but just thought I'd share

Good Luck with the swap

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
kamikazemkiii;1701250 said:
Jspec auto I believe, Their in VA
This is where I got my 2j it was very clean and runs great, came with everything needed...but they come with auto trannys

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
JZ motors will be harder and harder to find because a few years back the Japanese started crushing cars and motors (due to space and energy concerns) hence why front clips became scarce so quickly. The U.S. also tightened the import laws/etc. and made it much harder to receive front clips and lately I've heard motors as well. there are still a decent amount of motors to be had at this point, but that won't last forever.

And yes, the current situation in Japan has greatly affected current auto production/shipping. Whether or not motors and frontclips are affected is anyone's guess.

kanji1jz

kanji
Jan 16, 2008
tampa fl
Well, just like flooding along the rivers here, if there is water damage to the vehicles you wind up with junk that noone wants because it takes too much money to get the moving pieces back to operating condition. Luckily we in the US would really only be interested in engines, transmissions, diffs, and other things that would be rebuildable. The only thing that would suck would be water damage to wiring that may cause it to be unsalvagable. I would hate to be looking for an engine in the upcoming years due to this reason. If the deal seems WAY too good to be true, it more than most likely is. Sorry to bring negativity to the thread, but I have experience with this at my family's salvage yards in Ohio.