Diagnosing a smoking 2JZ has me stumped

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Car Info:
1987 MKIII
R154
Aristo 2JZ-GTE with 43,000miles on the motor.
3in turbo back exhaust
A toggle to electronically switch between sequential and true twin operation of the turbos.

As the title suggests I have a smoking 2JZ. I tend to crop dust during deceleration and during periods of prolonged light throttle. It's a light blue smoke so it is oil as anybody that was behind me on the cruise back form centerila can attest to.

I also can't boost past 10psi even when I have the sequentials in true twin mode. And I have verified that I have no boost leaks, and my system holds pressure up to 30psi.

With these symptoms and and a considerable amount of time researching on here and supraforums I concluded that my second turbo was shot.

Well, this weekend I managed to take the turbo off only to find that the turbo is in perfect condition. It spins freely, very very little side to side play and no front to back movement. And there was no evidence that this turbo had burned any oil. On either the compressor or turbine side.

And the plot thickened even more. On the output tube, prior to the reed valve there is not even any oil residue, the kind that you typicaly see from the stock pcv system. It's like the turbo has never been ran. But that is not possible, and I have ran it in true twin mode. And visualy verified that both the actuators that allow for true twin operation are functioning. I get the louder exhaust note and I don't build boost until around 2800 rpm.

So now I'm stumped and unsure what direction to proceed. Why burning oil like I am, and why can't build boost like I'm supposed to.

One more little note, If i'm decelerating while in true twin mode there is what sounds like a metallic ringing coming from the engine bay. It only does this while decelerating in true twin mode. If I switch back to sequential it goes away.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
It could be valve stem seals. The same thing happened on my buddys 1jz. Smoked like a dead turbo ended up being the valve stems seams though.

How much does the car boost in sequential? You verified the actuators move but have you verified the VSVs work as they should?

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Thanks for the reply. The valve stem seals are where i'm leaning next. But I'm also wondering about my pcv system(It's stock). As there is a fair amount of oil in the pipes and where the hose of the pvc system comes off the valve cover and goes to the intake pipe on the exhaust side the is a fair amount of oily dirt buildup.

As for the sequential pressures, it makes 8~9psi almost right off the bat during the first turbo movement. then it drops to 5psi during the prespool transition. then comes back up to 9~10psi(depending on load and gear. and then tapers off past 5000rpm to about 8psi.

For the VSV's I verified all of them individualy with a mightyvac hand pump and a switched 12volt source to ensure each was working as it should.

tlo86;1349248 said:
quick compression test?

I'll put that on my list of things to do once I get it back together. They looked good when I first got the engine