"delete* blow by system? (think catch can)

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Hey everyone. Just curious about something.
Please don't flame or bash or anything like that.

So basically I'm a pretty simple guy, I like simple things.

So naturally, I'd like a clean and simple engine bay ;)

So here I am on my crusade to clean things up a bit in the engine bay.

instead of getting a catch can, I was wondering if I could put little filters on the valve cover nipples, to i guess, well i guess vent it?

Orrr I was curious, can I just cap them off?

I understand this is an emissions subject and i'm sorry if i offend anyone with the air pollution. But in retrospect, the car does not get driven that much and i'm pretty sure top fuel dragster spit out more harmful air pollutants than my little supra. Not saying that makes it ok, but it's a way to justify it ;)

So basically, my goal is to have a clean engine bay, and by being so, I don't want to fill it with a catch can if I don't have to.

So, can I put breathers on it and have it i guess 'vent' to atmosphere and plug the int. manifold port along with intake port. OR can I cap all plugs and call it a day?

Thank you!

p1870590_1.jpg

p1870590_2.jpg

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
That's what I was thinking (the filters making the engine bay all oily and dirty) But I noticed suprasport sold a breather kit and that the reviews on them seemed to be positive. So I don't really know.

Also, i'm assuming capping them is not a good idea? Care to explain?

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
you need to understand what they are there for in the first place, in a nutshell you want to not only keep that system but eventually improve on it. learn what a PCV system does and if you notice on ANY high powered motor they not only have the factory setup, they improve on it...

removing the system = bye bye piston rings

veedubin

Official SM Decals
Supra_dan;1870613 said:
That's what I was thinking (the filters making the engine bay all oily and dirty) But I noticed suprasport sold a breather kit and that the reviews on them seemed to be positive. So I don't really know.

Also, i'm assuming capping them is not a good idea? Care to explain?

Typing on my phone sucks so to save a lengthy story, search "PCV operation" on Google. You need air circulation within the crank case. Eliminates blowing seals, gaskets, or other such failures. There is always a little bit of blow by passing by the rings, that causes the crank case to become pressurized. The PVC system uses the engine vacuum to remove that pressure.

Stay factory or *properly* install a Catch can. Check with iboughtasupra as he sells custom catch cans that look really good :D

Sent from my LG-P504 using Tapatalk 2

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Okay, this all makes sense.

But, this brings me to a different question.

Just say i purchased the new one he came out with.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

lines run off the valve cover nipples into the catch can which has a filter inside of it.

Correct me if i'm wrong but is not the same concept as say putting a filter on each valve cover?

Because it seems as if it's just collecting the oil blow by into the catch can, which is just routed away as opposed to filters on the valve covers.

I'm not trying to justify doing it if it will harm my motor, because then i won't.

But it seems as if this catch can is just a variant of just filters on the valve covers

veedubin

Official SM Decals
Supra_dan;1870621 said:
Okay, this all makes sense.

But, this brings me to a different question.

Just say i purchased the new one he came out with.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

lines run off the valve cover nipples into the catch can which has a filter inside of it.

Correct me if i'm wrong but is not the same concept as say putting a filter on each valve cover?

Because it seems as if it's just collecting the oil blow by into the catch can, which is just routed away as opposed to filters on the valve covers.

I'm not trying to justify doing it if it will harm my motor, because then i won't.

But it seems as if this catch can is just a variant of just filters on the valve covers

Those cans are baffled internally, to eliminate oil spraying all over your bay. I personally prefer a closed system where the filter is replaced with a hose to the intake - pre Turbo. Keeps a vacuum, small but still, in the crank case.

Look into some racing engine builds. Some guys go as far as running a vacuum pump to their catch cans.

Sent from my LG-P504 using Tapatalk 2

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
^

Okay so just for clarity, the can above is...not good then, as in bye bye to the piston rings type of deal? all though the filter is inside and will not spit oil all over the place..it's still the same concept correct? just not open atmosphere?

So then, a catch can with 3 ports then is, okay?

As in, two lines from valve covers to can, and on the other side a line from the intake tubing to the can?

edit: thank you everyone for the quick responses

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
I'm sorry, but which will work just fine?

The one that utilizes the intake pipe as a vacuum source correct?

I don't see the one i posted a picture of being sufficient considering it's safe to assume it's just a different cariation of the filters.

Sorry for being so redundant on this, just want to make sure all is right before i do anything and chance screwing something up

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
It's called "positive" crankcase ventilation for a reason and it's not going to be that if connected before the throttle plate. Don't be so quick to yank stuff off when you don't understand what it does. And if you improve it keep in mind the air in the PCV system has been metered.

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
jetjock;1870635 said:
It's called "positive" crankcase ventilation for a reason and it's not going to be that if connected before the throttle plate. Don't be so quick to yank stuff off when you don't understand what it does. And if you improve it keep in mind the air in the PCV system has been metered.

I'm not being quick to take anything off, that is why I am consulting the forums, to get others opinions and facts. Which i'm very grateful for by the way.

So what your saying is that a catch can that runs the lines off the valve covers to the can, AND has a line that connects from the original barb fitting in the accordion hose to the can, will not work? like this:
p1870640_1.jpg

If so, then all these people running these catch cans are damaging their vehicle?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Due to the near zero pressure drop across the AFM there's pretty much zero negative pressure at the accordion port until WOT is reached and even then there's only a tiny bit. If you doubt that simply measure it. I mean, why would it be any other way? Isn't that the entire point of everyone buying as free flowing an air filter as possible? Think about it. Also think about where the engine operates 95% of the time.

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
jetjock;1870642 said:
Due to the near zero pressure drop across the AFM there's pretty much zero negative pressure at the accordion port until WOT is reached and even then there's only a tiny bit. If you doubt that simply measure it. I mean, why would it be any other way? Isn't that the entire point of everyone buying as free flowing an air filter as possible? Think about it. Also think about where the engine operates 95% of the time.

No no I believe you on the pressure, I've read many of your posts in various threads and they seem very well educated and on point. I'm not here to argue or try to refute everything, i'm more or less gathering data and seeing if this is a route I can go in.

So basically then...there really is no way to have a a system with a catch can then?
Pretty much the stock system is the way to go?

IF what I said above is true, then should these people who have bought the catch cans maybe revise their purchase?

Again, not trying to be a pain in the butt. I'm just trying to figure out why people would maybe intend on buying a catch can set up if it actually ends up hurting the engine

89gte

Regular
Apr 26, 2011
Tennessee
There are a lot of threads on the topic of the PCV system and catch cans. Within these threads, there is good information and bad information, which sometimes can be troublesome to differentiate between (especially on the PCV system). Somebody should write a definitive guide to what is correct, and what should be avoided. I believe this would benefit many members. I know IJ has posted some pictures in a thread with his setup. On topic, I believe, from reading other threads, there are ways to apply a catch can system properly. I know that the throttle body orifice, valve cover ports, and accordion intake port should be involved (like the stock system), along with 1 or 2 catch cans, and optionally, a pcv valve.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
There are ways to apply cans and some of the PCV threads have good info in them. The reason it's hard to separate fact from BS is because many people seem unable to comprehend how the stock system works, which is odd because it isn't rocket science. The TSRM explains it well enough.