ddp or or hks dp with lipp elbow.

ImperfectSupra

May 19, 2007
Virginia Beach
i already have an hks dp and wanted to get the lipp turbo elbow to finish out my exhaust. the elbow is around 200 bucks thats about half of the bic divorce downpipe.

what do you guys think is a better setup. most power, quickest spool? have anyone tried both of these setups? i dont mind paying a little more if the ddp is better. how about noise levels. i want less noise.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
I like my megamouth DP by cooleeze, It would be like a LIPP elbow with a full 3" DP (not sure if the HKS is full or not). I believe the spool on a megamouth DP is slightly slower compared to a DDP, but it screams up top ;).

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The ddp is a better choice, if the elbow is integrated. But the LIPP elbow will be a huge improvement, I will probably do the same. I intend to pick up a T04E LIPP/ITS bolt on myself.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
i bought a tms downpipe but install is a bitch.. the welds are too close to the bolt holes and it would require a smalllll bolt to hold it down... i had to do some grinding just to fit it on

... think if you are ever going to change the turbo first ( or you could always go boss series )

i would suggest lipp because you can always replace your old downpipe and that thing is SOLID very easy to install

and the bic because you dont need to buy a downpipe with it and have the option to have a seperate wastegate exit and the option for ceramic coating which i just think is super :) not sure how hard/easy the install is though.. i am sure it is way better than my tms downpipe heh

Gilsdorf

Street Dragon
Jun 18, 2005
Reno, NV
I'm running the LIPP elbow and a DEI wrapped Random Tech 3" DP, I'm also using the BOSS DBB series turbo. Easy install and removal. Stay away from the HKS, it necks down before the flex section so it's not a full 3" pipe. Years ago it was the only one out there, now there are way better choices.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Gilsdorf said:
I'm running the LIPP elbow and a DEI wrapped Random Tech 3" DP, I'm also using the BOSS DBB series turbo. Easy install and removal. Stay away from the HKS, it necks down before the flex section so it's not a full 3" pipe. Years ago it was the only one out there, now there are way better choices.

What BOSS turbo did you get, stage and trim??

Gilsdorf

Street Dragon
Jun 18, 2005
Reno, NV
BOSS stage 5 dual ball bearing 58 trim with the big shaft option (polished, of course) it should support ~500 at the wheels with my mods.

AGlobalThreat

Acceleration
Apr 4, 2005
Santa Clarita
DDP will make the most power but be the loudest of all your options.
Rerouted DDP is a better option if you want to keep the noise down but still get the performance benefits of a DDP.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
s383mmber1 said:
DDP, screw those who say that the wastegate sound is "FTL"

YOU OWN A SUPRA.

What does that mean? That I have to like the sound of an exhaust leak? People have different tastes. Exhaust leaks sound like shit and that's exactly what an open WG is. A controlled exhaust leak. But it sounds bad just the same.

bwest

Drafting, not tailgating
May 18, 2005
HippieTown, CA
OneJoeZee said:
What does that mean? That I have to like the sound of an exhaust leak? People have different tastes. Exhaust leaks sound like shit and that's exactly what an open WG is. A controlled exhaust leak. But it sounds bad just the same.

Have to agree Joe.

I say elbow (or rerouted DDP). Unsealed systems sound like garbage IMO.

ImperfectSupra

May 19, 2007
Virginia Beach
sounds like i will go with the ddp, just debating on reroute or not. this might sound like a dumbass question but i should keep me hks downpipe in case i need it in a turbo upgrade right?

Gilsdorf

Street Dragon
Jun 18, 2005
Reno, NV
Sawbladz said:
Re-routed DDP is the way to go. All the benefits without the drawback of sounding like ass.

Ditch the HKS, if you go to a bigger turbo in the future you will more than likely need a custom DP.

The HKS is no better than some of the Ebay crap available for cheap, sure it says HKS on it (actually it probably doesn't--atleast my old HKS DP didn't), but you are only paying for the name.

Like I said earlier it was a good product a decade ago, now it's the playstation 1 of DP's--better than nothing, but still way out of date crap!