dashpot question!

the t3d

P B4 A
Sep 30, 2006
Titusville, FL
sometimes my dashpot on my TB doesn't go all the way down and sometimes keeps the TPS voltage not at zero. i see that some have vacuum lines on them. are they supposed to be hooked up to a vacuum source?

-t3d

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
The dashpot is just there to keep the throttle from snapping shut too fast as the throttle closes it touches the dashpot, it acts like a cushion and slows it down, there is an adjustable bolt on the throttle linkage if its keeping your throttle open. Also the vac line just goes to a filter, its just cotton shoved into a hole. The dashpot expels air when the throttle pushes on it and sucks in air when the throttle is open. Its a air bladder that has a regulated release rate.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
You need to have the "filter" on there though, its designed to let air in and out at a certain rate otherwise the dashpot will move too freely. Theres instructions in the tsrm on how to test everything

bluepearl

Jul 21, 2005
pa.
The dashpot is there for emission reasons. It allows a small amount of air to bleed past the throttle plate for a second so the already present fuel supplied can burn and keep things cleaner. As mentioned, there is a adjustment procedure.