Dashpot mod: to solve engine stalling when venting BOV to atmosphere

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Sside;1928292 said:
..Basically my understanding is to cut open the vtv, seal off the small metal hole... Put vtv back together, t off the vacum that goes to it with a boost controller and tighten the boost controller slightly...

That's it. Makes the VTV into a check rather than the one way fixed orifice flow controller it was and uses the valve as an adjustment to restrict outflow. A flow control valve would serve both purposes. In fact the MBC alone might even do it. It's a God awful hack if I ever saw one but hey, it's his/your car...

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
jetjock;1928297 said:
That's it. Makes the VTV into a check rather than the one way fixed orifice flow controller it was and uses the valve as an adjustment to restrict outflow. A flow control valve would serve both purposes. In fact the MBC alone might even do it. It's a God awful hack if I ever saw one but hey, it's his/your car...

Ahhhhh okay I see.... I'm starting to have second thoughts about it now :/... I have a spare mbc and I guess I could try it but iono, maybe I will just simply get the maf pro $200 box(not the pro). Seems like the cheapest way to do it right. I may try the MBC alone as an experiment thou lol..... Hopefully my car does not blow up, wich it most likely will but you kno... I'm curious..... So forget logic and being smart....

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
NashMan;1928302 said:
blip throttle works fine for me

or rev match wail down shifting and you will never have an issue

Since the car is 5 speed its not a huge issue when it shuts off (not often)..... But I would love for this to be a non-issue. It be nice....

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Just recirculate it. The only reason you care is because you think others do when in truth they don't. It's the same with the fog light mod I've always been puzzled by. Do those who do it actually think anyone else on the road gives a shit? And since they don't who exactly is the owner trying to impress? I don't get it...

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
You are right Jet, not even going to try and defend the vent to atmosphere bov dilemma... Recirculating is the answer and would solve all the issues I am having with idle. But the sad truth is that I like the sound of my bov, I honestly like it...... I dont know if I am willing to give it up and this is an absurd decision of mine because its a no brainer. I honestly hate it when people do things just because "race car" and what others think but this is one of those things where goleee...... I may give the company I got my bov from a call and see if they are willing to take it back for a recirculating one, its certain I will lose money but if they give me some discount I may just do it.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Most BOVs can have a recirc fitting on them. I have a recirc fitting on my HK$ SSQV for this reason. (Plus, I don't like the noise. I don't like idiots in Civics thinking that I'm racing them when I shift at 2500 RPM.)

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Dan_Gyoba;1928320 said:
Most BOVs can have a recirc fitting on them. I have a recirc fitting on my HK$ SSQV for this reason. (Plus, I don't like the noise. I don't like idiots in Civics thinking that I'm racing them when I shift at 2500 RPM.)

Mine does not :(.... I used to have an HKS but hated the snap ring...... And lol @ civic, I stopped worrying about them a long time ago. I will admit this thou, 70% of the honda's that have heard my bov have not raced me. I can honestly say that in my experience it has scared more honda's off than it has actually made them bother me.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
^I know

but here is more about the story if you care to know more?

So how often have you see a BOV actually tested for its ability to reduce the pressure spike that occurs when you shut the throttle on a hard-blowing turbo? Not very often, right? And in fact, what does that pressure spike actually look like?

We decided to do some high-speed logging of the pressures that occur in the intake system between the turbo and the throttle blade when you snap the throttle shut. We used a Fluke 123 digital Scope meter and a Fluke pressure transducer.

This screen grab shows the pressures with the electronically controlled Goyen BOV working. Each vertical division is the equivalent of 20 kPa (about 3 psi) manifold pressure and each horizontal division is 200 milliseconds. So from far left, the car is holding 70 kPa, grading down slightly to 60 kPa (about 9 psi) before the throttle is suddenly closed. The pressure abruptly spikes by 10 kPa (about 1.5 psi) but the spike is very short-lived (about 50 milliseconds) before it rapidly and smoothly falls away. In fact, the pressure drops from the spike of 70 kPa down to 20 kPa in less than 100 milliseconds (ie one tenth of a second). The fall to less than 10 kPa takes about 650 milliseconds (ie 0.65 seconds) in total.

And what a different story there is without the BOV working

Again the throttle was abruptly closed at 60 kPa boost. The immediate pressure spike was about 15 kPa (only a little higher than without the BOV) but what follows from there is completely different. Rather than dying away quickly, the pressure is both much slower to fall off and is also accompanied by very rapid pressure waves, with these waves starting off at about 20 kPa peak-to-peak and then gradually dropping to about 10 kPa. The frequency of these varies from 15-20Hz. In other words, there is a pressure wave of up to 20 kPa racing up and down the intake system between the throttle and the turbo. It is very likely that this wave battering against the turbo compressor is potentially much more damaging that the initial pressure spike itself. Also note that the trapped pressure takes a lot longer to decrease – to drop to 20 kPa takes about 500 milliseconds (half a second) compared with one-fifth of that when a BOV is fitted."

with this all said and done the newer gt series turbo should not have any probs wiht this at all now as for the t series turbo i am still not sure

but did it for about 1 1/2 year's and turbo 180,000 km turbo never showed any issues witch was later sold to a buddie of mine that sold it to another person that I knew and last ended up on a 22re turbo on wheeler with no blow off vavle

Many other cars with alot more metal piping didn't have them, un-like the mk3 that is mostly all made of rubber so in long run make it even safer

with this all being said I tested it at 10 pounds

makes you raise an eye brow and go hummmm

but is this the best choice it up to you

only time I would draw the line thou is on a upgraded ct26, you can never trust them things some times

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
What was the sample rate of the meter? I'd think for just a few milliseconds there'd be a huge spike in pressure, way beyond a few psi.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
well how about that i found them

p1928466_1.jpg

p1928466_2.jpg

that's all I can find