Dash Security Light is constantly on

jkendall86

Apr 10, 2005
Salem, Oregon
My Theft Deterrent Light on the dash is of when the ignition is off and when I turn on the ignition, it is constantly lit....anyone have a clue? I have looked at the wiring diagram and it only goes to the computer.....

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
jkendall86;2001675 said:
My Theft Deterrent Light on the dash is off when the ignition is off and when I turn on the ignition, it is constantly lit....anyone have a clue? I have looked at the wiring diagram and it only goes to the computer.....

That is your clue.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=BE&P=85

That is the repair manual, not the EWD. However, the repair manual has the schematic also. I know that most of it is checking to see why it doesn't turn on.

jkendall86

Apr 10, 2005
Salem, Oregon
I was hoping no one would tell on me.....
I have the wiring diagram and it didn't dive me a clue as that circuit just seems to go I to the theft computer

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

suprasick

Hey look...a Supra!
Mar 17, 2006
Milton, Washington
There's only a few things it could be. If it were I, I would look behind your gauges. I've seen some pretty f'ed up soldering for new lights, gauges and such. Or even a loose, lets says tems wire, hanging out and bridging some of the copper gauge paper. If all is good there, try replacing the TDS computer.

jkendall86

Apr 10, 2005
Salem, Oregon
I've had the gauges out and all looks good...I've got another TDs computer so I'll just try that...I was hoping someone could give me a different answer....

jkendall86

Apr 10, 2005
Salem, Oregon
Forgot....there used to be a high end security system on the car that I took out because I did not have any of the instructions or controls. The PO had disabled all the door locks, which I added back in and they now work with the key and the lock bezel. I also had to add locks to it because he had JB welded quarters in the door handle locks. When after market alarms are put on, do they disable the factory system? The alarm does not arm when the car is locked.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
jkendall86;2001822 said:
Forgot....there used to be a high end security system on the car that I took out....

Aaaaannnnddd there it is.
Most likely suspect is one of the disabling attempts that the previous owner did.

jkendall86

Apr 10, 2005
Salem, Oregon
Great...it really wasnt a hack job...looked like it was installed well...scotch connectors and zip ties all over

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I just realized there was missing information in the OP. Does the car crank when you put the key in the start position? The computer does supply power and the ground is constant. It is doing it for a reason. My comment is not related to bad wiring and aftermarket, which could be why the crank inhibit is activated, if in fact it is activated.

jkendall86

Apr 10, 2005
Salem, Oregon
Car starts and runs fine...all other systems seem to run well. The only gauge that seems a bit off is the voltage, it reads low and I know the battery checks at 14 and my turbo timer says volts is about 14 as well.
I have seen the wiring and it is straight forward, only thing that the light is connected to is the computer...so it seems like it should be the computer or faulty install/deinstall on the aftermarket alarm.

suprasick

Hey look...a Supra!
Mar 17, 2006
Milton, Washington
jkendall86;2001822 said:
Forgot....there used to be a high end security system on the car that I took out because I did not have any of the instructions or controls. The PO had disabled all the door locks, which I added back in and they now work with the key and the lock bezel. I also had to add locks to it because he had JB welded quarters in the door handle locks. When after market alarms are put on, do they disable the factory system? The alarm does not arm when the car is locked.

It depends on how the installer wired it. My aftermarket alarm has a factory alarm disarm output. The installer hooked mine up so the factory alarm still functions as the OEM would have it. They are two different systems, on my car, but if I arm the stock alarm with the key, I am able to disarm the car with my aftermarket alarm remote without having to stick the key in the door. Look to see if your aftermarket alarm has that option.

jkendall86

Apr 10, 2005
Salem, Oregon
Found the problem....when the turbo gauge was taken out, there was a jumper wire put in where the battery gauge replaced the turbo gauge. That jumper was placed on the security tab instead of the correct spot. Now all is good, both the battery gauge and the security light work as they should...thanks for the help.