Dash and Climate Control Lights Out - There was a good article on here but can't find

juncboi

Yeah, snooping around.
Jan 31, 2009
Sacramento
I've had this issue for some time now. Last month I found a really good article about going through your wiring to make sure the dimmer wires were done correctly with aftermarket deck. It even had pictures! Thought I saved it but I guess not and now I can't seem to find it. Post the link if you know what article I'm talking about.

Here's what happened:

So I installed an aftermarket deck, used a harness for it. All was good until it got dark and I turned on the lights. All exterior lights work. There is a split second flash like the dash and climate control lights want to come on. Yes, I swapped the dimmer switch (rheostat) and no luck. That new switch actually started smoking and shorted out. :3d_frown:

juncboi

Yeah, snooping around.
Jan 31, 2009
Sacramento
Fuses are good. I think my dimmer wires behind the stereo aren't hooked up right but I have tried reinstalling the stock stereo with no luck. Maybe I have to get another "good" rheostat and try again.

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Winter Park, Florida, United States
Yea, I would pin the problem on your illumination wire for your radio. I think It's an orange wire. Check it out, maybe It's grounding itself somewhere. Unless your radio supports the dim feature, leave it unhooked.. and if it does, unhook it and see if it fixes the issue and go from there.

-Mike