Daily 86.5 bhg repair

SeeUSmile

Nov 22, 2012
Australia,Victoria,Melbourne
Hey all had this as my first car when I was 17 back in 2012. When I bought it, owner mentioned using stop-leak because he reckoned the head gasket was leaking as he noticed there was bit of condensation coming from the exhaust.
After buying we stored it at a mates place and didn't see it until I was close to getting my licence which was like 2013 later so I didn't see the car for almost 2 years hahaha.

Eventually got Rego and roadworthy organised, gave it an oil change and switched coolant over to a compatible one as I was worried all the silicate on the green coolant would erode the head. Had it as my daily for a bit. Bought a major service kit early this year and decided to re-torque head bolts to 70ft-lbs.
My wishful thinking thought it would help it prolong the motors gasket life. I was already losing a little bit of water after long drives and often topped up every cold-start. It was a small leak, i knew a new head gasket will be due soon but I wanted to keep going and see how long it would last.

It wasn't until I reached the 300km mark on my way back from a mates place, I was approaching a roundabout and downshifted to a high-gear (gear 4) by accident thinking I was in gear 2 and after applying some throttle, bit of hesitation and pinging and then misfiring followed on. At the point I knew i pushed it passed its limits and now it's on its last legs, car managed to make it home on 4 cylinders as I later found out in a comp test, it blew ring to ring between cylinder 5 and 6.

Anyway it time to give the car it's long well deserved due repair.

Comp-test results

After taking head off, realized most of the water jackets were leaking on the exhaust side of the cylinders. Didn't know cylinder one had a pretty badly warped gasket ring as well, dry comp test came up at the high 170s as well.

Went and bought a gasket kit from the U.S as it was cheaper than Australia despite our terrible dollar at the moment. Although It disappointing to find out that the gasket I received was different from the photos. Photos showed copper inserts and this one came up without it :(

Went to my local supplier to buy a headgasket by itself and was surprised to find out that they supply ajusa brands and it was the cheapest one too!! compared to the graphite and composite options!!!!

That's the progress so far might get my hands on a soda blaster to clean the whole head up.

Last edited:

Billybob9187

Mar 9, 2015
Stockton Ca
Now you need to clean the block. If I were you I would take this time to clean out the water passages as well with some gun nylon brushes for the head and metal for the block. I would also check to make sure the head and blocked are not warped because that is some interesting wear on your head gasket.

SeeUSmile

Nov 22, 2012
I figured this would be hard to clean out at home, with school holidays in place I decided to head to school as they have the facility to rebuild engines there.

Into the jet wash it goes!

After, and gave it a few more washes.

Day 2

Checking cam for straightness and journal roundness

Into the lathe it goes for linishing

I know I should be using a Mic for this... but wanted to get a ball park figure on where I'm at. So far it's undersized as min spec on tsrm was 28mm IIRC

exhaust Cam had better journals

Now to valve lapping. They also had a valve spring tester and decided to test the springs out too.

Some Vac testing on seal.

SeeUSmile

Nov 22, 2012
Into the block now

My gawd chasing the threads got alot harder on the back two bolts as the tap wrench hits the fire wall >_<

Had to take head off again as I forgot about putting gasket maker under the front oil drain between the rear timing cover and block

Got a degree wheel made, going to degree the cams just to get an idea of where it's sitting and if within specs.

Decided to call it a day and shall finish it tomorrow!

SeeUSmile

Nov 22, 2012
Billybob9187;2059841 said:
Now you need to clean the block. If I were you I would take this time to clean out the water passages as well with some gun nylon brushes for the head and metal for the block. I would also check to make sure the head and blocked are not warped because that is some interesting wear on your head gasket.

Oh woops was still in the process of uploading into photobucket as I was posting. The head's already on and I didn't invest alot of time into cleaning it, just unbolted the drain plug at the side and just ran some water, finger and alcohol through it and cleaned the deck a bit.

Cheers for the input!

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I was going to ask for a closeup of the head's coolant passages on the exhaust side, as they looked pretty chewed up. Did you verify that the head gasket's coolant seals fully surrounded the eroded sections?
Otherwise, you'll just end up with an instant blown head gasket again.

Great work, by the way. Looks like a lot of attention to detail.
Never seen a head gasket like that for the 7M. Is that a new style?

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Looks like a mhg and I didn't see any pics of the final prepped block surface. Sorry to say it might be a bad combo for you.

What did your cam journal clearances end up being?

Billybob9187

Mar 9, 2015
Stockton Ca
This is one of the cleanest 7MGE BHG repairs i've seen in a while. Usually its just someone cleaning the gasket off and bolting back on. Nice Job!!

SeeUSmile

Nov 22, 2012
Thanks for the input guys

Its an ajusa headgasket. It's a composite core with a metal face. Similar concept to an exhaust manifold gasket. I had heads there were more eroded than this and had them welded and decked this one wasn't as bad and should be fine. Only looks eroded because of the soda blasting haha.

Clearances were between 2-3 thou.