Cxracing Ct26 bolt-on Turbo on EBay - Bad Idea??

755hp

Goal - 755hp
Jul 19, 2012
Tri-State Area & MI
Alright, so I've been a bum the past few months cause I've continuously driven around in my Supra with blown Ct26 turbo smoking up everywhere as I'm idling; it's my daily driver (besides winter). I'm tired of this life; therefore, I'm looking to get a new one (or good condition used one on this forum). I know about Driftmotion and their Ct26 Turbo rebuilds which I could get but....it cost $$$ and I have others maintenance items to purchase. DM will most likely be my choice but I was just wondering about Cxracing's Ct26 Turbo ($310) here on EBay....just slightly thinking about it; is it possible, can this be done??

Cxracing Ct26 Turbo: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CXRacing-To...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a1e47eacb&vxp=mtr

I know about quality parts and I'm not trying to be cheap; I'm just trying to save money....for other areas in the car.

So, has anyone tried these Cxracing Ct26 turbos?? Who makes them?? How is the reliability?? Can you run around 15psi safely?? Just wondering....not saying I'm going for it. Just looking for some opinions and thoughts/experiences.

Much appreciated, thanks!

- 755hp

Last edited:

kdog1988

Mar 6, 2007
Florida
how many pounds of boost was that guy running? i purchased my turbo off eBay a year a go and still going strong with over 5000 miles at 10pounds so if you ask me i see nothing wrong witb ebay parts juat make sure you do your research. i would also look up jmt turbos they're decent quality for a good price. you have to reclock the compressor housing but its no big deal. but if you decide to boost over 12 psi i would look into a more expensive option

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
Agree with above^. People act as if Ebay is a manufacturing company. There are hundreds of turbo manufacturers that use eBay to sell items and I know of quite a few people that have been running "ebay turbos" and have been for years. And I am not talking about 10psi while driving like a grandma, I am talking 15+psi and drive like a raped ape. Its all about the manufacturer you buy the turbo from .

755hp

Goal - 755hp
Jul 19, 2012
Tri-State Area & MI
Wow....I'm getting a completely different response than I expected. Well, heres the thing, I'm currently deciding whether to do an engine rebuild or not. I just ordered an Oil Pressure gauge yesterday and will observe the pressure at warm/cold idles as well as high rpms; I'll compare it with the Toyota specs and if I see the pressure is WAY low (as well as a leakdown test) then I will go into a slight engine rebuild (new bearings and piston rings). If the pressure and leakdown test results are decent then I'll just do stock HG replacement with ARP studs as a prevention. However, because my bottom end won't be rebuilt (old bearings/piston rings), I'm not sure if I want to throw a brand new expensive $625 DM Ct2657trim turbo on there (worn/old stock engine). I might as well spend less money on a Ct26 if the engine is not mint from the start; plus, I won't try to run anything more that 15psi on this engine even with decent diagnoses test results (old bottom end). Therefore, I'm thinking a simple stock Ct26 replacement turbocharger would be sufficient.

But again, I'm not sure; I won't even order anything till the diagnoses test results are in and I know where I stand. Good to know this might be an option though (if chosen from a decent manufacture).

Last edited:

kdog1988

Mar 6, 2007
Florida
listen to the turbo before it blows it sounds like the waste gate is stuck close and it just boost until it grenades.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Just get it rebuilt at drift motion. Most cheap turbos off eBay have a high failure rate. All the metal in China is super cheap quality.

755hp

Goal - 755hp
Jul 19, 2012
Tri-State Area & MI
hvyman;2039128 said:
Just get it rebuilt at drift motion. Most cheap turbos off eBay have a high failure rate. All the metal in China is super cheap quality.
Sigh....there seems to be no way around this. I'm either going to get one from DM or get a used one here on the forums.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Those who get their turbos clipped say spool is a little slower. I have no personal experience with a clipped exhaust end so maybe somebody can chime in and confirm. I guess that's the trade off of getting it to pull strong past 5000rpm.

If your leakdown test confirms a good engine, your HG isn't blown, and it's not knocking I wouldn't do a rebuild just because you're replacing a turbo. What are your fuel mods so far?

755hp

Goal - 755hp
Jul 19, 2012
Tri-State Area & MI
Suprapowaz!(2);2040938 said:
Those who get their turbos clipped say spool is a little slower. I have no personal experience with a clipped exhaust end so maybe somebody can chime in and confirm. I guess that's the trade off of getting it to pull strong past 5000rpm.

If your leakdown test confirms a good engine, your HG isn't blown, and it's not knocking I wouldn't do a rebuild just because you're replacing a turbo. What are your fuel mods so far?

Yea, I plan on doing a leakdown test in the coming weeks (as soon as the roads clear up - snow). It's not knocking; I'm just afraid that situation may be right around the corner - so my attitude is, "why wait". But yea, there are a lot of other things I could be doing to my car right now that an engine rebuild.

Fuel mods, Lol. STOCK. However, I do have lex/550's sitting in my room since August. Haven't install them cause I wasn't sure my engine could take the additional boost/stress (temptation to turn up boost). Am I being to soft on the 7M (120k miles)?? I was looking at a Walbro 255 from Driftmotion today; not bad a $93. Some people say an AFPR is needed and some say its not....not sure on that one yet for my Hp goals 400Hp @ crank.

Rather than an engine rebuild, I'm thinking doing a HG replacement (stock HG w/ Arp studs) might be a more reasonable thing to do before installing the lex/550s and a 57trim ct26.

755hp

Goal - 755hp
Jul 19, 2012
Tri-State Area & MI
SideWinderGX;2040946 said:
If you're going to swap a walbro in, jump right to the Walbro 416 (E85 compatible). Same size, same price, fits in the stock fuel pump hangar. Flows 416lph which is good for 650hp or so on E85 and 900 or so on pump.

What's up SideWinderGX! I went on Walbro's website....they actually sell them cheaper than DM on Amazon and EBay! Didn't find the 416lph though....are you talking about the 400lph??

By the way, did you find that old ct26 in your garage yet?? Lol

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
That's the one, its the only E85 compatible one they have so that's one easy way to find it. Depending on the place its advertised its the walbro 400, walbro 416, or the walbro 450. A bit annoying.

Haven't dug it out yet haha, been too cold and trying to clean everything up. I'll let you know soon!

755hp

Goal - 755hp
Jul 19, 2012
Tri-State Area & MI
SideWinderGX;2040954 said:
That's the one, its the only E85 compatible one they have so that's one easy way to find it. Depending on the place its advertised its the walbro 400, walbro 416, or the walbro 450. A bit annoying.

Haven't dug it out yet haha, been too cold and trying to clean everything up. I'll let you know soon!

Ahh okay, in that case DM does sell it too. Do you think I'll need an ARPR to support 400 @ the crank??

No problem. I'd rather take this opportunity to find a 57trim ct26. But I'll take a stock one if the chance is presented. Or when ever your ready to let go of your 57trim ct26. Lol. I just don't wanna drive around with my blown ct26 anymore. I'm worried about metal shaving coming off the turbine shaft and circulating back into the oil lines, bearings, rings, etc. Trying to find a turbo before put it back on the road.