cutting springs

chris1039

Jun 24, 2007
tucson, arizona
i know that it isnt recommended but how much do i have to cut from the stock springs to lower it about two inches.

the shocks will be replaced at the same time.

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
Don't do it. Really.

You will fuck up your ride, and with the super sophisticated suspension geometry of your car, you will ruin all handling characteristics, since your cuts will not be uniform.

Cutting 1 coil off the rear eibach springs gives it the best stance on a sidenote.

chris1039

Jun 24, 2007
tucson, arizona
the 100 is just my budget for the month and i didnt really want to cut into next months budget. i think im just going to cut them to learn how bad they really are and next month i will buy some new springs.

natedogr

Sep 12, 2006
Chatham, Va
there was a thread about this same thing in the 7mge section. it started a few days ago, i would suggest reading that. and yeah its not a good idea to cut your stock springs, just read the thread in the other section

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
nothing wrong with cutting stock springs...

but cutting them to the point of getting a 2 inch drop...yeah, that's not gonna be good...

here's an even better idea... you're replacing your shocks, right?

buy bilsteins, they have adjustable perches to lower your car on the stock springs WITHOUT cutting...

Jetfixr757

Sleeper
Mar 30, 2005
Cocoa, Florida
natedogr said:
there was a thread about this same thing in the 7mge section. it started a few days ago, i would suggest reading that. and yeah its not a good idea to cut your stock springs, just read the thread in the other section
Don't cut the springs, the heat of cutting alone can affect the rest of the spring and besides that when you get tired of the crappy ride you can't put them back the way it was. You need these, i have them and so far no complaints.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...0729292+600003409/c-10101/reviewflag-1#review

TooGoode

rediculous DD
Mar 1, 2007
Chandler, Arizona
hey, ur in Arizona right? im in mesa......i just lowered my car, but i didnt cut the springs.... theres an easier way.....jack ur car up and put a jack stand under each control arm not the chassis. take of your rims and measure each of your springs from top to bottom....i think they are like 10 inches.....then what you do is carefully take a torch to each spring and slowly heat up the bottom layers until they fold on each other... take measurements until the car is lowered how you want it, in my case, i did two inches exactly.....i like the stance of my car, and there wasnt to much of a handling difference..... heres a pic of my 87 using that technique.....

sm_photo_missing.jpg

DeSloth

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
TooGoode said:
hey, ur in Arizona right? im in mesa......i just lowered my car, but i didnt cut the springs.... theres an easier way.....jack ur car up and put a jack stand under each control arm not the chassis. take of your rims and measure each of your springs from top to bottom....i think they are like 10 inches.....then what you do is carefully take a torch to each spring and slowly heat up the bottom layers until they fold on each other... take measurements until the car is lowered how you want it, in my case, i did two inches exactly.....i like the stance of my car, and there wasnt to much of a handling difference..... heres a pic of my 87 using that technique.....

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Just so you know - it's only a matter of time until your suspension fails horribly. :nono:

Do you have any idea how springs are made?

I know my postcount is low, and I'm not trying to cause trouble - but I couldn't read this and not say something.

suprajosh

Nov 6, 2007
anaheim CA
imagine yourself as your car... would you want to have your leg cut off cause you were too tall, NO, you would be weak and wobbly, and could not walk straight because one leg was cut differently

so just buy her new legs(springs) she wont even know if they are used, just dont cut her poor legs off :[
-josh

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
Cutting or heating springs is just stupid. You will never get it uniform and those "new" struts will be blown in a matter of weeks. You can get eibachs & tanabe for like 200 new so used should be around a bill. Just think of all the time and money you will save to do it right, especialy if your cut springs cause you to drive into a ditch for lack of control.:biglaugh: